GP1200R engine install

For those of you that have installed an engine in a GP1200R. Is it easier to split the hull to make room or wiggle it through the opening and bolt on all the accessories from the top? I am not sure if the halfs are glued in which case I won't be pulingl that apart. I just bought this ski and it did not have a motor at all. Thanks.

splitting the hull into two?

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TL2Stroke View Post
    For those of you that have installed an engine in a GP1200R. Is it easier to split the hull to make room or wiggle it through the opening and bolt on all the accessories from the top? I am not sure if the halfs are glued in which case I won't be pulingl that apart. I just bought this ski and it did not have a motor at all. Thanks.

To split the hull you have to basically ruin one part of it.. so if your gonna keep the bottom deck you saw-zaw the top deck then heat and pry the left off real carefully til you have the bottom deck only.. or vice versa..

point of this NO you do NOT split the decks to install the engine.

You install the engine through the top opening.. take it slow it has to go at a small tilt/angle to get it in.. but then it just drops down...

be sure to use towels and put blue painters tape around the sides so that you don't accidentally hit the edges and scratch the ski.

I don't believe splitting, separating or cutting your hull in any way is an acceptable way to remove or replace a motor. It should be able to get in there even tho it is a squeeze! Best of luck and don't cut the ski apart!

Thank You

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

What accessories are you guys putting on ahead of time. I read that some people are putting the engine in with the exhaust manifold and carbs already attached. Can the front cover also be attached ahead of time?

the towel/tape idea is great, somehow i didn't think of that.

Basically you want to remover everything from the engine except the carbs and exhaust manifold. I pulled mine by hooking a come-a-long up to the rafters in my garage and just slowly cranked it up and had a buddy help me guide it. Installing it is basically just running the come a long in reverse, worked mint!

+1

I can only imagine the things people did before we could all ask our questions on internet message boards.

+1
    I take the carbs off to get mine out. But I stand over the engine bay and lift it out with a strap and set it on some carpet on the side of the ski.

Thread Information