Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fishing in West Palm Beach

Hey! I'm new to PWC fishing but have been fishing all my life. I was first mate on Reel Chaos (a private fishing boat in Ft. Pierce) and still do it part time. I'm going to college here in West Palm and looking for some buddies that might want to go out fishing with me. I will also be doing some free diving from the ski as well! I just bought the ski last week and am looking forward to loading the cooler with fish! I still have to build a rack for the back of my ski to hold my cooler and rods.. Any suggestions on a good GPS/Fishfinder for my ski? One that will hold up getting pretty wet?

a good gps/fish finder can cost from $200 to $2000+. It depends on how well you can read the fishfinder and the location you fishing at. I say start with something cheap/durable, get to know the functions, and then move up to something more advance later on.

Quote Originally Posted by richardbb85 View Post
    a good gps/fish finder can cost from $200 to $2000+. It depends on how well you can read the fishfinder and the location you fishing at. I say start with something cheap/durable, get to know the functions, and then move up to something more advance later on.
    Well, I have been fishing all my life and know how to use a fishfinder and gps, i just didn't know if there was one specifically designed for a jet ski. I'd like to get an all in one unit. I don't want to have a separate gps and fishfinder.. Any suggestions? I'd like to stay relatively low price, but at the same time, I know I have to pay for quality.

I have a garmin 300c on my little jon boat and love it, they make a higher model with a built in GPS as well.

Humminbird 385ci Combo works for me

I'm new to jet ski fishing but have had many large fishing boats - center console Grady's, Pathfinders, etc.

Just put a 385ci Combo GPS Fish Finder on my Ultra LX 260. Mounted transducer on stern by removing the Kawi speed pick up device.
    I put a separate 12v battery in the bow to isolate any instruments I add from the Kawi electrical system.

All works great.

[QUOTE=fluidchaos;1476345]I'm going to college here in West Palm and looking for some buddies that might want to go out fishing with me. I will also be doing some free diving from the ski as well! I just bought the ski last week and am looking forward to loading the cooler with fish!QUOTE]

I would love a PWC fishing buddy. Especially one who knows what they're doing when it comes to salt water fishing! I still need to get a rack on my ski. My ski is in the shop right now getting some maintenance and a supercharger rebuild. Once I get my ski back, I'll probably start on that rack project. I've been holding off on the fishing so far because I don't think it is a very good idea for me to go out alone without the saltwater experience. (Don't want to wind up on the news or get my name nominated for the 'Darwin Awards'.) Wouldn't mind doing some spear fishing or lobstering either ! Mini season is coming up.

I generally keep my ski at North Miami Marina, but do have my trailer easily acessible.

Quote Originally Posted by itsslow98 View Post
    I have a garmin 300c on my little jon boat and love it, they make a higher model with a built in GPS as well.
    Ok, thanks so much! I'll check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by CleanLivin View Post
    I'm new to jet ski fishing but have had many large fishing boats - center console Grady's, Pathfinders, etc.

Just put a 385ci Combo GPS Fish Finder on my Ultra LX 260. Mounted transducer on stern by removing the Kawi speed pick up device.
    I put a separate 12v battery in the bow to isolate any instruments I add from the Kawi electrical system.

All works great.
    Yes, I'm in the same boat as you. My family has a 40' Luhrs Convertible that I am the first mate on and I'm so used to fishing that. I'm eager to get heavy into this PWC fishing though! Thanks for the tip! I definitely think I'll be taking your advice on the second battery, because I definitely don't want to drain the main and be dead in the water off shore!

[QUOTE=BerkULator;1477062]
    Quote Originally Posted by fluidchaos View Post
    I'm going to college here in West Palm and looking for some buddies that might want to go out fishing with me. I will also be doing some free diving from the ski as well! I just bought the ski last week and am looking forward to loading the cooler with fish!QUOTE]

I would love a PWC fishing buddy. Especially one who knows what they're doing when it comes to salt water fishing! I still need to get a rack on my ski. My ski is in the shop right now getting some maintenance and a supercharger rebuild. Once I get my ski back, I'll probably start on that rack project. I've been holding off on the fishing so far because I don't think it is a very good idea for me to go out alone without the saltwater experience. (Don't want to wind up on the news or get my name nominated for the 'Darwin Awards'.) Wouldn't mind doing some spear fishing or lobstering either ! Mini season is coming up.

I generally keep my ski at North Miami Marina, but do have my trailer easily acessible.
    Oh, that's awesome! We definitely should hook up and go out sometime! My ski is also in the shop. I'm just having them check out everything and do a little tune up since I just bought the ski and it's an older one. I don't want any surprises on the water!

But yeah, I'm trying to figure out what I want to do as far as putting a rack on it as well. I want something that is easy to get on and off because I'm into wakeboarding and other water sports as well so I want it to be versatile. Let me know what you think you're gonna do for a rack, I may steal your idea (if you don't mind). I saw the DIY on here for the PVC rack but I was kinda wanting to do a stainless one.

I also just bought a new 48" Speargun and have only got a chance to shoot a few fish with it so far so I'm eager to break it in! haha

Cool Looking for PWC fishing buds

Quote Originally Posted by fluidchaos View Post
    Hey! I'm new to PWC fishing but have been fishing all my life. I was first mate on Reel Chaos (a private fishing boat in Ft. Pierce) and still do it part time. I'm going to college here in West Palm and looking for some buddies that might want to go out fishing with me. I will also be doing some free diving from the ski as well! I just bought the ski last week and am looking forward to loading the cooler with fish! I still have to build a rack for the back of my ski to hold my cooler and rods.. Any suggestions on a good GPS/Fishfinder for my ski? One that will hold up getting pretty wet?
    I am looking for a few buds to PWC fishing. I have the fever recently to do this. I had my Waveraider stolen years ago and recently it was recovered. Had it gone over and built a rack for it last night. please contact me if you wanna go get some fish!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information