Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

"Pimp Your Ride" and Jet Ski Fishing Chesapeake Light Tower

I had a call a couple months ago from a guy named Kenny who had questions about jet ski fishing and rigging up a jet ski. He had recently sold his boat but still wanted to fish and felt that jet ski fishing would suit him best. Kenny bought a used Yamaha FXHO that was in good shape and had low hours. I put him in touch with the fabricator who rigged up my ski, Albert of Martins Custom Structures in Gloucester Virginia http://www.martinscustomstructures.com/index.html
    Albert had some new ideas and Kenny said he "wanted it all", he got it all. This Yamaha has multiple rod holders, gps/fish finder, navigation lights, remote control spot light, extra deep cycle battery, soft top and wind sheild, cooler rack, anchor and spear gun holder, a 12 gallon tank mounted below the coolers and hard wired with tranfer pump. There are probably some thngs I left out. Albert has rigged 10 personal water craft now and this was his most extensive to date.
    I told Kenny I was going to the Chesapeake Light Tower today so he towed his pwc down from Richmond and met me at Owls Creek boat ramp. We departed Rudee Inlet at around 1030 hrs to great conditions of 1 foot or less and averaged about 45 mph on the 15 mile trip offshore. There were tons of bait all along the ocean front today.
    The Spadefish bite was slow today so all the fish were taken by speargun today. It felt great to be in the water with air temps today close 100 degrees.
    Unfortunately for Kenny, a motor mount broke on the way back in and I had to tow him back the last 7 miles with my Yamaha SUV. It should be an easy fix for him.
    Another great day on the water and I will have Spadefish for dinner tomorrow. Here are some picture I took.

+1
    Brian, please tell Kenny I don't think he really has a PWC anymore... JK, that is one awesome rig. I think he has managed to out Jet-ski-brian you

If I had something like that, down here on the bayou... why, it'd prob. be called the fastest duck blind in the South.

I was jealous of your rig, but that new job makes me want to buy something just for fishing and have it shipped over to your local fab shop for a retro-fit.

BTW, keep the post & pix coming... it's all good stuff.

Have a safe summer,

jesus, that is rigged out to the max.

I like it, Pretty damn cool!

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    I see something new and different everyday!

that is pretty cool, and lots of creativity.. I would never have thought about that..

reminds me of the enclosed moped ha

Wild!
    But a question - I've been studying the different configuration to rear ski racks. How has all of this added structure above the center of gravity affected the skis balance - tend to roll on a slow turn?

Seems it would make the ski substantially more unstable.

I've been planning an alum. rack to be just above the rear deck for water flow below it, to be able to carry my Yeti 21" wide cooler with 2 x 5 gal jeri cans of gas. For longer trips into the everglades, I figure the Yeti will stay home and I'll go out with 4 jeri cans of fuel (2 jeri cans = width of the Yeti).

Even what I'm thinking of has given me concern about:
    1. All the extra weight no the tail of the ski.
    2. Impact on tendency of the ski to roll over.

Thoughts?
    Brian - did you get to drive his rig and if so, how did it feel regarding balance?

Thanks,
    Jack

+1
    I did not drive his ski, I would have the same concerns in poor weather.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CleanLivin View Post
    Wild!
    But a question - I've been studying the different configuration to rear ski racks. How has all of this added structure above the center of gravity affected the skis balance - tend to roll on a slow turn?

Seems it would make the ski substantially more unstable.

I've been planning an alum. rack to be just above the rear deck for water flow below it, to be able to carry my Yeti 21" wide cooler with 2 x 5 gal jeri cans of gas. For longer trips into the everglades, I figure the Yeti will stay home and I'll go out with 4 jeri cans of fuel (2 jeri cans = width of the Yeti).

Even what I'm thinking of has given me concern about:
    1. All the extra weight no the tail of the ski.
    2. Impact on tendency of the ski to roll over.

Thoughts?
    Brian - did you get to drive his rig and if so, how did it feel regarding balance?

Thanks,
    Jack
    My 2 Cents: In my Rack, I've carried a 48 quart Ice Chest full of a combo of the following: ice, fish, & drinks. Sometimes it's just the ice chest in the rack, while at other times it's the rack w/ 5 gallons of gas. And sometimes it just the rack w/a small (28 quart ice chest and two #5 tanks of gas. My rack can actually accommodate four #5 tanks of gas. All in all, I've never add a problem w/any of the handling aspects nor been subject to tipping over. All of the above is for the SeaDoo RXT platform...

Of course, I'm not out in the ocean either. But I have navigated some rough seas (3 to 4 foot rollers) w/no problems.

+1
    Very cool rig!
    I'd imagine with all the extra above the water line gear that it would be very similar to riding 2 up.
    Doug

Does his ski use the nano-cell hull material? I wonder how that material holds up to attaching tubing in that way? I'm considering doing something like this but it would probably be a new ski so I want to make sure I don't ruin it all together.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information