Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Water in hull up to engine cover

How could this happen? Yes, the plugs were in and it ran scarely until i made it to the dock. My oil is a milkshake and i cannot figure out how this happened when i was just cruising. i didnt notice any cracks in the hull and i cannot find the bailer tubes to check them. i just took the thing to the dealer and am praying the warrenty will cover it. There is no way the opas block off's could of caused this unless one of the plates fell off correct? (they are secure) good news is that it cranked at the dealer but i was really surprised to see how much water came out of the pump, alot more then normal. any ideas?

+1
    Could be a number of things...
    Exhaust hose leak
    Bailer tube came loose
    Carbon ring

Another reason for the auto bilge pump..With the seats on, riding, and having a good time, ya never know until it's too late..

+1
    how long was it sitting in the water?

when my bailer tube leaked it was in the water for about 2 hours and the water was just under the supercharger. no damage!

My second leak was from a pump shoe with a crappy ass glass job.

god luck man!

the dealer is telling me that my riva grate is forcing so much water into the pump that it by-passing the carbon ring and getting into the hull. im going to pick it up tommorrow. does this sound right?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    WHAT!?!?!?!?

no that doesn't sound right... that's a pile of horse$hit to say the least. There's a bigger problem underlying... it may be the carbon seal, but the intake grate got nuttin to do with it... if that's where it's leaking it's a warrantee issue.

+1
    Jon, find yourself another dealer. This one obviously has no clue LOL!

to follow up on this... i went to the dealer to pick up the ski this morning and they are standing by their thought that the riva grate is overloading the pump and allowing water in to the engine compartment. there was and i agree there is another leak with one of my opas b/o plates because i stripped the screw. it was a small leak, but he said (under pressure) it may have been a bigger leak. they want the stock grate which i dont have anymore to re-water test it. so im at a point now where do i buy another stock plate? did the oring leaking cause this much water in the compartment and that was the only cause? the debate for me is over money, right now im at $317. if they put the grate on and there is still a leak evverything will be warrentied. but, if the leak is fixed it could run me up to $500. im tempted to go get it take it out and see what happens. the last water test he did he said there was water getting in there but, he was on it w/o the cowling and its tough to look for a leak doing 50 mph. tough one huh?

The dealer has no idea what's going on

Is there any way you can remove the engine cowling and back the ski in the water to check for leaks? If it's OK to run, start it on the trailer and give it some gas, check for water being forced through a loose or LOW positioned bailer tube. If you have a video camera, take it with you. If you do spot where the leak is and can get video footage, show it to the dealer.

Just a couple ideas, but the best bet seems to be to find another dealer that knows what's going on.

Good luck.

Your dealer is an idiot. That side of the prop is under a vacuum when under power. If you have a bad thru hull seal, it will leak when motor is dead and suck air when running. The grate will not cause that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information