Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    9

    98 SPX, What to do next?

    So we have had the ski in the shop twice now, and have spent a ton of $. Before it went in, it wouldn't idle and you had to choke the hell out of it to go slow, then it would take off. Later in the same day it wouldn't do anything but start. We took it to the shop, they cleaned and they rebuilt the carbs, changed a few fuel lines, but put clear plastic ones in, (is that ok?), and changed the small fuel filters. They said it was running good. We took it home and put it in the water. It ran good for about 15 minutes, and was idling and everything fine. Then it stopped excelerating. It will idle but nothing else. It you give it gas it revs up but does nothing. We called the shop to see what they said and they said to bring it back for the third time. We mentioned that we've given them a ton of $ and it was supposed to be fixed but they didn't care and said there would still be additional charges. The issue is the shop is almost a two hour drive from our house especially to put out more money and deal with some people that we just aren't too fond of right now. However no one else near us will work on ski's. What would you do? We were going to try and fix it ourselves, but weren't sure where to start? Or should we just take it back to the shop.
    Thanks!


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Louisburg, NC
    Posts
    88
    check your intake grate on the bottom of the ski, it might be something as simple as a clogged intake grate and it isnt getting enough water flow to accelerate.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by juggaloXPracer View Post
    check your intake grate on the bottom of the ski, it might be something as simple as a clogged intake grate and it isnt getting enough water flow to accelerate.
    We thought that but unfortunaly it wasn't that. I sure wish it was!

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    n.j.
    Posts
    457
    when you say it revs up and does nothing, does the drive shaft spin all the way to the prop?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by jersey785 View Post
    when you say it revs up and does nothing, does the drive shaft spin all the way to the prop?
    If it is on the trailer it fires right up and sounds like it is running great. In the water when you give it gas it sounds like it is going to go, but doesn't move, does that make sense?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    n.j.
    Posts
    457
    does the drive shaft spin all the way to the prop?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    n.j.
    Posts
    457
    i ask this because your splines could be stripped out, prop/wear ring damage. you should be running at 3000 rpm on the trailer and 1500 rpm on the water at idle.

  8. #8
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mahomet, Il. USA
    Posts
    6,004
    +1
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwifey View Post
    So we have had the ski in the shop twice now, and have spent a ton of $. Before it went in, it wouldn't idle and you had to choke the hell out of it to go slow, then it would take off. Later in the same day it wouldn't do anything but start. We took it to the shop, they cleaned and they rebuilt the carbs, changed a few fuel lines, but put clear plastic ones in, (is that ok?), and changed the small fuel filters. They said it was running good. We took it home and put it in the water. It ran good for about 15 minutes, and was idling and everything fine. Then it stopped excelerating. It will idle but nothing else. It you give it gas it revs up but does nothing. We called the shop to see what they said and they said to bring it back for the third time. We mentioned that we've given them a ton of $ and it was supposed to be fixed but they didn't care and said there would still be additional charges. The issue is the shop is almost a two hour drive from our house especially to put out more money and deal with some people that we just aren't too fond of right now. However no one else near us will work on ski's. What would you do? We were going to try and fix it ourselves, but weren't sure where to start? Or should we just take it back to the shop.
    Thanks!
    DO NOT take it back to the stealership. these are way to simple to work on. How mechanically inclined are you guys?
    what you described in the beginning of your post is classic symptoms of clogged fuel screens in the carbs combined with junk fuel lines. ( read the DIY threads at the top of the 2 stroke section. clear is fine as long as they are fuel rated. Im wondering if they even bothered to clean the fuel selector valve( fuel on/off/reserve switch) something that was in there could have clogged the filters again...it doesnt take much.

    when you say it does nothing when it is idling and you try to move the ski does it bog or just idles like normal?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    DO NOT take it back to the stealership. these are way to simple to work on. How mechanically inclined are you guys?
    what you described in the beginning of your post is classic symptoms of clogged fuel screens in the carbs combined with junk fuel lines. ( read the DIY threads at the top of the 2 stroke section. clear is fine as long as they are fuel rated. Im wondering if they even bothered to clean the fuel selector valve( fuel on/off/reserve switch) something that was in there could have clogged the filters again...it doesnt take much.

    when you say it does nothing when it is idling and you try to move the ski does it bog or just idles like normal?
    Thanks! We followed that guide and changed all the fuel lines and cleaned the carbs. When we opening them up the filters were filled with gunk. Guess the shop didn't replace them like they charged us for them. We took it out and it is running great. Not happy about the money we spent at the shop and am calling them today. Thanks.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. what to do next?
    By sealz in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 11:42 AM
  2. I Have Stage 1 In Rxp Now. What To Do Next?
    By TDSTYG in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 11:27 AM
  3. What to do next??
    By GPRGASM in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-09-2007, 11:54 PM
  4. What to do next?
    By dropped in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-29-2006, 01:21 PM
  5. What to do next???
    By SpeedStang95 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-03-2006, 05:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •