Possibly Picking Up A 98 XP Got Some ????

So I am making this thread for a friend of mine that is about to trade straight up his 98 Yamaha Banshee for a 98 Sea Doo XP. Looking for some input on this model, what are some of the things to looks for and what are some of the pros and cons on this machine. I am a yama dude and have gpr's so i dont know what advice to give when it comes to these 2cyl skis. The current owner says that the XP has rebuilt and tuned carbs, all new gaskets, remapped ecu and all exterior parts have been "re-sealed" .any and all input will be highly appreciated thanks.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    well its gonna have the 787cc engine in it. the newer models have a 951. as for a 787 you can mod the hell out of it of you want and it will hold up. From what I have read and experienced a 951 doesnt last to long modded up but i can always be proven wrong.

as for making sure its reliable you just have to look it over. do a compression test, take it for a ride, has anything been monkeyed with ie not BRP produced? do the gauges work, ect. also see it the top end has been of of it. look for paint missing off the bolts on the head. most importantly...is it an SBT reman engine? if it is run like the wind

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    well its gonna have the 787cc engine in it

Im NO expert but aren't the '98's the first year to come with the 951? Pre 98 was the 787 I believe

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kidafa View Post
    Im NO expert but aren't the '98's the first year to come with the 951? Pre 98 was the 787 I believe
    I guess your right guess i should have double checked myself...i could have sworn the 99 was the first year for the 951 in the XP

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    well its gonna have the 787cc engine in it. the newer models have a 951. as for a 787 you can mod the hell out of it of you want and it will hold up. From what I have read and experienced a 951 doesnt last to long modded up but i can always be proven wrong.

as for making sure its reliable you just have to look it over. do a compression test, take it for a ride, has anything been monkeyed with ie not BRP produced? do the gauges work, ect. also see it the top end has been of of it. look for paint missing off the bolts on the head. most importantly...is it an SBT reman engine? if it is run like the wind
    Thank you for the info i willl pass it along. I prob will be the one taking him to see it so i willl be sure to keep ur input in mind. Also can you point me to a good thread or ideal performance type thread for this type of ski I cant seam to find in when I search

Quote Originally Posted by kidafa View Post
    Yes can someone verify this ?

oh and forgot to mention the owner says the ski is a 800cc ???????

That means it has the 787 in it

+1
    Ton's of info on here. just do some searching. Check out the sticky at the top on Ben's 947 and 1050 mods. Some great info. I still go back I read it time to time just to see If I missed anything. But just remember things that work for someone else might not work for you. But finding out what works thats the fun part.

Quote Originally Posted by GPR305 View Post
    oh and forgot to mention the owner says the ski is a 800cc ???????
    then its a 97 xp. maybe a 98 spx. does it have the suspension seat? if so what color is the bottom of the hull?yellow=97(785c.c.) black=98xpl(951c.c.)
    check the pupm/prop area for worn/bent impellor, not much different from the gpr's when looking for abuse.

+1
    yea if its a 800 its a 97 with the yellow bottom hull.. 98 first year of 951 black on the bottom of the hull..

my friend also just bought one.. as long as all the maintence has been up to par then there should really be nothing to worry about..

Thread Information