Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cool 2000 Genesis FFI Idles but bogs on throttle (Added Video to listen to the bogging)

My ski will start up just fine but when I try to apply throttle it bogs down and when i release throttle it idles fine again. Any idea what could cause this problem? I have searched the forums but couldn't find an answer.

Its a 2000 Genesis FFI with a brand new engine installed at the end of last season. It started doing the bogging down during break-in. I took it back to the shop and they said they called STB about it and were told that the key was stripped off because flywheel wasn't torqued properly. I got the ski back in march and took it down to the river and its STILL doing it. Tried to contact the shop and they are now out of business. (not surprised) So where should I go from here??

Also does anyone know of an dealers in virginia that still work on polaris skis?
    Last edited by jls7707; 07-18-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Who fixed the flywheel?

Was it actually incorrectly installed?

Are you interested in doing your own troubleshooting on this engine?

I took it to a boat shop here in virginia. I removed the flywheel today and saw 3 copper wires on the stator that are damaged. Would this cause my problem? Can i repair it or have to replace it and where can I get one? I don't have any confidence in that boat repair shops around here.. I have a manual and would like to do it myself... Unfortunately my issue can't be found in the troubleshooting section..

OK I found a stator at Babbits Sports center.. $300!!! please tell me this can be repaired lol

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jls7707 View Post
    I took it to a boat shop here in virginia. I removed the flywheel today and saw 3 copper wires on the stator that are damaged. Would this cause my problem? Can i repair it or have to replace it and where can I get one? I don't have any confidence in that boat repair shops around here.. I have a manual and would like to do it myself... Unfortunately my issue can't be found in the troubleshooting section..

OK I found a stator at Babbits Sports center.. $300!!! please tell me this can be repaired lol

Thanks
    Call one of the stator repair places. Both of these have had good reviews;

RM Stator is in Canada

Jetski Solutions
    JetSki Solutions, LLC
    2940 Hearthstone Drive
    Cumming, Georgia 30041

Phone: 1-678-255-5055
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Hours of Operation
    Monday - Saturday
    : 9am to 7pm Eastern Time
    Sunday: Closed
    Orders, Troubleshooting Assistance and E-Mail Inquiries
    9am to 10pm Eastern Time, Every Day

Or hunt down a good used stator.
    Last edited by K447; 07-02-2010 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks for the quick reply! I will contact them on Monday.. I am adding some pics of what the problem is. To me it looks like it just needs to be replaced...

The gouges are all the way around, I am guessing its from parts of the old flywheel caused it.
    The copper wires that are broken are probably from the mechanic that replaced the flywheel..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	copper cut.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	202817

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gouges.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	202818

looks like the flywheel puller bolts were too far in and spun around on your stator, damaging the wires

Yes that is what I was thinking. I know I didn't do it...

Ok update, I replaced the stator. Now I can get it to fire up but only for a few seconds then dies. I checked the TPS, I unplugged it and nothing changed.. What else could be the issue? It has spark, a good charge on the battery and fuel pressure..

+1
    If you hold the Start button down for a few more seconds, does it continue to run for those extra seconds?

If yes, you may need to replace the start solenoid (protection diode inside the solenoid may have failed).

I did notice it continued to run one time while holding the start button down..How do i check to see if it is bad?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information