Thread: bad day

bad day

Well I have been reading and soaking up info off the site for a while but unfortunately I now have to ask a dreaded question.

What parts do I need for a motor rebuild?

I have a 2001 GP1200R first of all. I checked my compression about a month ago and all was well. 119,116,113. I have put about 10 hours on it since then. Today I took it out and within 5 min off the trailer, just above idle it stalled all at once like it sucked up water. When I tried to restart it the started would not turn it over. I waited about 5 min and it started back up and ran another 30 sec and did the same thing. I could not get it to run well again. I checked the commpresion agian and #1 and #3 seem fine but #2 is about 90psi.

I am thinking I will attempt the rebuild myself but as I am very new to this I was looking for a rebuild parts list or kit. What all do I need? Do I bore the cylinders or do I have to re-sleeve it.

Thanks
    Beanutputter

XLTNoob
    First you need to find out what caused you to drop #3 in the first place..

Fix that, then worry about collateral damage.

figure I will find that during the tear down. If its a spun bearing or something internal, I am wasting my time trying to find it now. if it was a lack of oil, I have already decided to change all the lines or convert to premix

come on guys, I need some help. Do I need a full gasket set or just a certain few? What bearing and seals do I need for the lower half. Is it standard to put new jugs and pistons on all cylinders or just re-ring the good ones and replace the bad.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beanutputter View Post
    come on guys, I need some help. Do I need a full gasket set or just a certain few? What bearing and seals do I need for the lower half. Is it standard to put new jugs and pistons on all cylinders or just re-ring the good ones and replace the bad.

So far you have not given us enough information for anyone to give you credible advice. At this point we do not know the extent of the damage or what caused the damage in the first place. What are the hours on the boat, was it abused, does it look like a fuel problem, or a lack of oil, what does the piston look like, and what do the other two look like, has anyone ever tickered with the carbs, how about the power valve.... what shape is it in? Many unanswered questions where a couple of pictures would be better than a thousand words.

Your cylinders are coated with Nicasil which is very strong. With a little luck all you may have to do is rehone. Personally, I would have the cylinder renicked rather than bored or sleeved. This of course is assumeing that you damaged the cylinder which is not always the case.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves..... pull the head and show us what you've got, then we will go from there.

Ok, due to a lack of time in the near future I had a friend of a friend tear it down and I have a bad main bearing. Part of the bearing ended up in the center piston and the sleeve is shot as well.

My shopping list as far an I know is

SBT Crank kit $475
    SBT top in kit with all new sleeves $695

My question is what else would I need?
    Can a standard machine shop re-sleeve my cylinder?
    Do I have to do anything to prep the case for the re-manufactured Crank?
    Should I just get the whole re-manufactured motor for $1595 with the 1 year no fault warranty?

+1
    Ok, due to a lack of time in the near future I had a friend of a friend tear it down and I have a bad main bearing. Part of the bearing ended up in the center piston and the sleeve is shot as well.

My shopping list as far an I know is

SBT Crank kit $475
    SBT top in kit with all new sleeves $695

My question is what else would I need?
    Can a standard machine shop re-sleeve my cylinder?
    Do I have to do anything to prep the case for the re-manufactured Crank?
    Should I just get the whole re-manufactured motor for $1595 with the 1 year no fault warranty?
    if you are going this route then yes to this

Should I just get the whole re-manufactured motor for $1595 with the 1 year no fault warranty

thanks for the response wfo. What other route do I have?

+1
    thanks for the response wfo. What other route do I have?

what all do you need?

Cases
    Crank
    1 Cylinder
    1 piston
    seals gaskets

what else?

all of these parts can be found in good used condition, or even new depending on your budget

the only thing good about a SBT motor is that they will warranry anything that goes wrong within the warranty period, but I would only use their motor if I was either selling the ski or putting low hours on it,c and dont even think about modding the ski with their motor

thanks WFO. I have decided to slow down and do it right and do it myself. I have never built a 2-stoke motor before but I believe it should be pretty straight forward. My case is good as far as I can tel. To be safe I have decided to start with a good new crank, Cranks works trued Hot rod crank. Hopefully this will mean I don't have any lower half problems for a long time. Now to deal with the upper half. I have started a new thread regarding this. I truly appreciate your help and hope you ck out the new thread as well.

Thread Information