98' GP 1200 Rebuild. help

I have a gp 1200 paid for a new motor to be put in it 2 years ago maybe had 20 hours on it and it just blew the middle piston i have no idea what im doing besides normal maintence stuff but i am tired of paying people to work on my jet ski. Im hoping with some help on here i can rebuild my machine i get the jet ski back in probably a week i will open it up and take some pictures of the damage how much do you think i will be looking to rebuild this. thanks anyone who is willing to help i would love to pull this off.

+1
    Moved to old school section

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelchild41 View Post
    I have a gp 1200 paid for a new motor to be put in it 2 years ago maybe had 20 hours on it and it just blew the middle piston i have no idea what im doing besides normal maintence stuff but i am tired of paying people to work on my jet ski. Im hoping with some help on here i can rebuild my machine i get the jet ski back in probably a week i will open it up and take some pictures of the damage how much do you think i will be looking to rebuild this. thanks anyone who is willing to help i would love to pull this off.
    Chances are you are going to need a whole new shortblock. If you're lucky your crankshaft is still in decent shape but that is really a variable until you tear into it. First thing I would do is remove the engine from the ski, because either way it needs to be rebuilt and you will be able to examine it better. A good guide to remove the engine can be found here:

http://www.shopsbt.com/pdfs/y11001200npv.pdf

It is CRITICAL that you mark where your engine shims are at the time of removal.

In terms of cost I really can't tell you until you tear into it. The easiest solution although not probably condoned here is to buy a new engine from "SBT" or Short Block Technologies. They operate on an exchange system where you get a brand new engine in exchange for your old 'core' broken engine, as is. The cost is $945 and it comes with a 1 year warranty. Of course other options are searching for a used one, or rebuilding the engine yourself.

Good luck

+1
    What is damaged makes a diference in what you will do.If the crank and cases are good then your cost is roughly half of a full rebuild.
    Rebuild it and learn what makes her tick.Estimate for a top end $600 or more/less.Carb rebuild $150 if you can do it yourself.I started on SBT motors I Inspected/measured some of the parts they machined and WOW.Motor ran fine though I was shocked.I can build a better motor myself now so I no longer have to go that route but its a good deal for someone who wants to learn.Hopefully its minor and you can just hone one bore and buy one piston but it usually has more too it than that.Go through the carbs.

Thanks for all the information guess i should have got on here earlier and saved yall time i ended up selling the ski

Thread Information