Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Any MFD repairman?

Does anyone know a person/place that repairs mfd's (95 750sl)? In searching through this site users Feral and Wetheby are no longer active and Christen79 says he's out of the Polaris scene. I already have it open using a thread I found here but am stumped how to proceed. There wasnt any water intrusion. Two local electonics shops said they didnt work on those (although I think they just didnt consider profitable). Thx

+1
    If you have it apart gently remove the two ribbon cables from their slots on either end of the back of the circuit board. Next remove the four screws securing the circuit board. You will find a dozen or so contacts along the top of the side of the circuit board that faces the LCD. The contacts may not look dirty but need to be cleaned. I think others have used denatured alcohol on a Q-tip but I just used it dry.

+1
    K-447 may have some knowledge on that. Pm him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    If you have it apart gently remove the two ribbon cables from their slots on either end of the back of the circuit board. Next remove the four screws securing the circuit board. You will find a dozen or so contacts along the top of the side of the circuit board that faces the LCD. The contacts may not look dirty but need to be cleaned. I think others have used denatured alcohol on a Q-tip but I just used it dry.
    This is it right here. Unless there is something fried in yours this should work. I did this and mine came back. Unfortunately I purchased another one before I tried this. I did it with a friend that is into electronics because I thought mine was fried and read Christian's thread after I bought another one. Neither one of us could believe that this was going to work but it did. On the bright side now I have spare if the other one goes beyond repair.

On the one I took apart there is just one line on the lcd that is lighter than the rest but I can still see it.

I also used the Christian method and cut between the clear cover and the lip. I kept at it with a sharp utility knife making multiple passes until I got it off. It is a much cleaner cut without the worry of damaging anything. It just takes longer and many sharp blades. (This takes several hours.) You already have yours apart now so I guess it doesn't matter. I will also say that I used Loctite Ultra Gel to put it back together even though it is recommended not to. The repair is neater and you can still get in there again with a utility knife. It is just more work. I really didn't care either because I have the other one. I am just glad I read the thread before I gave the other one away, which is what I was planning on doing. If the thing ended up not working it would have made no difference to me except for lost time. I also used just a little blue loctite on the screws because Christian mentions that the screws coming loose is most likely what causes the problems in the first place.

Good Luck with yours dude.

An eraser head on the ribbon contact ends works as well. This is an old trick from old PC days.

+1
    Cleaning those contacts was the first thing I tried since it was included in the directions on how to open up the mfd. One guy at the electronics shop did tell me that one of the "blue cylinders" did look faulty because it looked expanded. As you can see I screwed up taking the case off on the lower right but its nothing fatal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0163.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	202752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0164.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	202754  

The one in the center looks like it is expanded. I don't know if there is a way you can check that. I will ask my friend. When I had mine opened he was messing around with it and did say that some of those components can be checked while they are on the board. I don't know which. Electronics is not something I am anywhere near an expert in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TopCop931 View Post
    The one in the center looks like it is expanded. I don't know if there is a way you can check that. I will ask my friend. When I had mine opened he was messing around with it and did say that some of those components can be checked while they are on the board. I don't know which. Electronics is not something I am anywhere near an expert in.
    Thanks I appreciate that. Also someone told me to contact DuVac Electronics. Luckily they have a location relatively close to where I live. I spoke to one of their employees and he said to bring it in and they can identify/have in stock/order components for it. DuVac wont do the actual work itself but the employee said he knew several electronics technicians in the area whose rates were reasonable. I'll take it over Monday and see how things work out.

that blue capiciter is definatly blown. could always try to find someone locally that knows how to replace them. usually your neighborhood electronics nerd can do it easily.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stl_sl650 View Post
    that blue capacitor is definitely blown.

could always try to find someone locally that knows how to replace them. usually your neighborhood electronics nerd can do it easily.
    Often when the MFD fails there are several internal components that need replacing.

This is especially true if the failure was caused by connecting the battery polarity backwards, and even more so if the fuse in the electrical box was replaced with something rated higher than the stock 1/4 Amp fuse

I agree that the capacitor looks bad - replace all three, but don't assume that is all that is wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information