Info on older Yamaha PWCs????

Hi all;
    I'm interested in buying an older Yamaha PWC, but I need information on models/years/engines, etc. Top speed is not all that important. What I'm really looking for is a ski that is light weight and fun to pitch around, and has good acceleration. Is a wave raider what I'm looking for? I've been able to discern from the SBT engine site that there are 2 and 3 cylinder versions of this craft. I live in north GA, so there are plenty of used PWCs available, but I just need some good information on models and their performance. Thanks!

+1
    I've got a 1994 701 Raider that I've owned since it was brand new. It rated at a paltry 80hp but that number is very deceiving in this lightweight hull . I'm not certain, but the 1994 may be the lightest of the Raiders; 387 lbs dry.

It is not the best handling hull and it can be a wet ride in the extreme chop of the ocean. Back when I used it in freshwater, I don't remember the ride being wet. Obviously that was because the waters were not near as rough as it can be here in the salt. When it was new, a jetski buddy had a new Sea Doo XP. My WaveRaider was faster but his sure did handle a lot better. His was sooooooo much fun to ride.

You say that top speed doesn't matter but I think that it will matter at least some. A good running 1994 Raider will have you knocking on the 55mph door. I saw 54.7 mph on GPS nine days ago! My ski is bone stock with the exception of a ride plate (Pro-Tec.) My much more powerful and heavier 1997 GP1200 isn't all that much faster on the big end. It has a much more stable ride, is drier and handles better, though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    I've got a 1994 701 Raider that I've owned since it was brand new. It rated at a paltry 80hp but that number is very deceiving in this lightweight hull . I'm not certain, but the 1994 may be the lightest of the Raiders; 387 lbs dry.

It is not the best handling hull and it can be a wet ride in the extreme chop of the ocean. Back when I used it in freshwater, I don't remember the ride being wet. Obviously that was because the waters were not near as rough as it can be here in the salt. When it was new, a jetski buddy had a new Sea Doo XP. My WaveRaider was faster but his sure did handle a lot better. His was sooooooo much fun to ride.

You say that top speed doesn't matter but I think that it will matter at least some. A good running 1994 Raider will have you knocking on the 55mph door. I saw 54.7 mph on GPS nine days ago! My ski is bone stock with the exception of a ride plate (Pro-Tec.) My much more powerful and heavier 1997 GP1200 isn't all that much faster on the big end. It has a much more stable ride, is drier and handles better, though.
    I think a 94' WaveRaider is a good choice because of the light hull and impressive top end for a 701. I vote for a 93-95 WaveBlaster though, this ski is very very nimble and can cut like none other. It's top end is still decent in my opinion at 44mph, but its manueverability sells itself. Not to mention there seems to be alot of these for sale lately too.

Adam

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0015.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	202889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0028.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	202890

I have both a 94 Waverunner 3 and a 93 Waveblaster. Both skis are extremely fun to throw around, the smaller Waveblaster being much easier to have fun on, plus most of the older skis are relatively light weight. Which ever ski you choose you can't go wrong it, because most of the older model engines are bulletproof.

Thanks guys! That is exactly the type of info I needed. Regarding the wave raider, are there mods to help the handling (e.g., ride plates, sponsons)?

+1
    You can do intake, ride plate, and sponsons but at the end of the day its still a WaveRaider. I've owned both a 700 and 1100 and they are "straight line" hulls no matter what you do to them.

Thread Information