Japan RXT iS Observations @ 5 hours

Tested speed and RPMs again today with 5 hours on the hour meter after a good day of riding:

Conditions:

Ski is completely stock

Water - Ocean - protected cove so it was flat - wind ripples about 2 inches...

Fuel guage: 3 bars showing

Weather: 30.2C, 75% humidity, Pressure - 1011.2 hPa

Riding position: Normal

Rider - all of 228 pounds...(I know - I need to lose some weight)

Made 6 passes in both directions (not that the ocean currents mattered); every pass was the same:

RPMs - 7980 (2 hour mark RPMs were 7560)

Speed - 109kph (67.9mph) - 2 hour mark speed was 102kph (63.6mph)

The ski picked up 520 rpms and 4.3mph...I was pretty pleased with the results.

Does anyone know the max rpms @10 hours for an international spec 260? I'm curious to see what else will open up with this ski...

BTW - the ski hit max rpms and speed in less than 500 yards. I didn't think to measure the test area with the GPS - I'll do that next time I'm up where I was today and/or next time I gps the ski...

Water conditions for riding today varied from flat to washing machine chop 3 feet high. The S3 hull stays hooked up much better than any ski I've ever had. I was riding with Mike and his SHO and the iS stayed hooked up better than the SHO. Add in the suspension and IMO - this is a bad ass ski. Mikes SHO is sweet and has much better accelleration and top speed but he has a lot of go fast parts on his. Unfortunately his supercharger let go on the way back from our turn around point so we limped back the last 40 minutes.

Anyway - the RXT iS is a great ski - I was a little worried that it wouldn't live up to my expectations since I bought it without being able to ride one. If it holds together - I'm gonna be really happy for a long long time...

Have a good weekend folks,

Ray

+1

Talking RPMS

Quote Originally Posted by RayinJapan View Post
    Does anyone know the max rpms @10 hours for an international spec 260? I'm curious to see what else will open up with this ski...

Ray
    Ray, sounds like your getting that ski broke in good! STOCK ECU max rpm is 8300, at 8200 rpm timing is really retarded and rpm will drop back down to 8100. Most people feel 8120-8160 is ideal rpm range and making max power.

You should be seeing 8120-8140 at WOT. My brother-in-law and I have proved that 45lbs of body weight difference equals 1 mph. I predict with your weight and iS suspension weight you should top out at 69.5-70 gps.

BTW, get rid of the stock air box and replace with 4" kanaflex, you'll see immediate gains in accelleration. Also, could you look at your ECU and verify you see "666323".

Have fun!!

+1

JPT - with your theory - the ski should be doing 70mph now with my wife riding it alone since she weighs all of 95 pounds. I'll test that theory out asap...

I'll have to check the ECU part number tomorrow - its midnight here and I'm headed off to bed.

Not sure how to do the kanaflex thing...the iS ski is a little different for air flow so I have to wait till I pop the deck next time to see exactly how I can route any tubing...

Question on the kanaflex - its basically a corregated hose. Air flowing through a corregated hose develops turbulence. Is that better than a smooth pipe? I admit I don't know much about SC's and 4 strokes but I would think that a smooth pipe would allow better air flow and therefore better boost...if it doesn't make any difference, then I'll get the kanaflex and work out a plan. Otherwise I may have some custom tubing made.

If anyone else with an iS ski has already done the air filter mod - I'd love to hear how you did it.

oh yeah - how hard it is to pull and cut the flame arrestor?

Cheers,

Ray

+1

Talking RAY!

Quote Originally Posted by RayinJapan View Post
    JPT - with your theory - the ski should be doing 70mph now with my wife riding it alone since she weighs all of 95 pounds. I'll test that theory out asap...

I'll have to check the ECU part number tomorrow - its midnight here and I'm headed off to bed.

Not sure how to do the kanaflex thing...the iS ski is a little different for air flow so I have to wait till I pop the deck next time to see exactly how I can route any tubing...

Question on the kanaflex - its basically a corregated hose. Air flowing through a corregated hose develops turbulence. Is that better than a smooth pipe? I admit I don't know much about SC's and 4 strokes but I would think that a smooth pipe would allow better air flow and therefore better boost...if it doesn't make any difference, then I'll get the kanaflex and work out a plan. Otherwise I may have some custom tubing made.

If anyone else with an iS ski has already done the air filter mod - I'd love to hear how you did it.

oh yeah - how hard it is to pull and cut the flame arrestor?

Cheers,

Ray
    RAY, RAY, RAY!!!!!! Don't let your wife get on your ski - you'll never get it back and she'll always be in your face about how she kicked your ass going 70+....... good God man!!!!!!

The stock air box is restrictive and draws in hot air from around the front of the engine. I routed 7' of kanaflex up front, and re-routed the stock fresh air vents right on top of my kanaflex intake. See my thread, "2010 RXT-X 260 Pics and Comments" for pics.

The flame arrestor is a huge pain in the ass to remove (through the throttle body), but does increase air flow. You remove the intake manifold and all connections, and throttle body. Then take LONG needle nose pliers and start twisting it and pulling it apart. It will break apart and about 2-3 hours later you'll have it out through the throttle body in a million pieces. You MUST blow the intake manifold out with compressed air to get at least a 1000 pieces of flame arrestor parts out! It just costs time, cut up fingers, lots of curse words, and at least a six pack of beer!! Or spend $150 from Riva and buy their kit and cut off the front plate and reseal.

Dont let her on it....................................

@$### kids on a loud piped scooter woke me up - it's 0430 right now...is it me or does green hulk look different?

Anyway - JPT - See my sig block - "Momo" is my wife - she rides as good as any person I know so if she can do a couple more MPH than me, I have no prob with that cause it's all about what the ski can do. If she got cocky though, I'd get the pepsi out and then it would be over...

RE the air filter - not sure if you've seen an iS ski yet - the air boxes for air getting into the hull are completely different than all other SD ski's so I will have to take a good look before I start pulling stuff. If I can find a good way of getting fresh air straight into the SC instead of sucking the damn hot air that is contained within the engine compartment, I'll do it that way. However I do it, I'll be sure to post pics...

Yeah, I've heard about folks trying to remove the flame arrestor without the RIVA kit...I'd just go buy the RIVA kit. I'll have to see what happens with this thing broken in at the 10 hour mark cause if it pushes the rev limiter stock, then I'll have to re-prop to keep it off the limiter after doing the simple mods...

back to bed so I can get up in a few hours and get back out on the water...cheers,

Ray

RPT, assuming the pic below shows my ECU (since the OEM parts list doesn't show it), my ECU part number is neither the US nor the European version. My ECU part number is 666074. If that's not the ECU, please tell me where it might be. This module, and what I believe is the iS module near the battery, are the only modules I can see without lifting the deck...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03354.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	202848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03357.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	202849  

Thread Information