+1

went and looked at a gpr. need advice.

looking for a gp1200r. preferably 01-02, but 00's are still in the running. guy near me is selling a 01 with 92 freshwater hours on it, with a load rite trailer for 4300. its supposed to be all stock, he said his wife had the cat removed. its also got riva racing stickers on it. how i can tell if this has a grate or plate on it? the cat goes after the big muffer on top right? im guessing its just got a d plate in there. he fired it up cold, and it ran, with the seat cover off and it sounded pretty loud. not that thats a bad thing, but are these things supposed to purr out of water or make some noise because they arent in the water.i know it will be louder out, but how can you tell if its missing or anything, just by revving it a little and seeing if it responds? i dont know how to describe it but it sounded like i could hear each time the cylinders fired. the motor was idling and moving a little, and the mounts were flexing slightly. is this right?

everything else looked to be in great shape. all the bolts were oem looking, doesent look like anything has been removed, or reinstalled.

where are some other problem areas to look for when buying? anything in particular?

Well, im sure others will chime in as well with stuff but i would first start with a compression test before anything, i would then take a really good look at the hull and under the rails for cracks damage repair etc, Then take a look at the plugs to see how they look(while doing your comp test) also look on the inside see how clean it is! Then if you want to see if there is a d plate in yes it will be under the plastic stinger cover where the cat would be however just look to see if it has a chip installed that will tell you really quickly... Next i would say that price seems quite high and that you could find allot more ski in that price range if you look around! best of luck!! I am a n00b and all but these would be the things i would check first... also be sure to take it for a test ride and trto take a look at the impeller while your under it as well!

+1
    i was planning on taking a compression checker next time with me. the hull looked great, just minor scratches where she had beached it, nothing major. therse only a few for sale around me, and this is by far the lowest hour/cleanest ive found. i see ones on here with mods and trailer go for 4500, i dont think 4 is that bad.

+1
    so if the compression checks out, what else can i look for?

price seems high to me
    i have a 00 and asking 3k and lower hrs

Thread Information