I think it is time for a D-Plate :P

My GP1200R was bogging down the first ride of the season, about 2 weeks ago. It would stall if you gave it gas too fast or if you tried to push it over 3k rpm (both under load and not under load). I've never rebuilt the carbs on it, so I figured I would do that and see if it solves the problem.

I'm working on it today and I get the stinger off. I look to see what the Cat looks like and I find this:

Could this be the reason for the bogging? I'm still going to take a look at the carbs, but I'm just curious now.

Now I have another problem. Since I have never really looked at the carbs when I bought this ski used, they are extremely dirty. I got out all (except one) of the bolts/allen bolts that holds the carb rack on. The one remaining, an allen bolt, is VERY corroded.... to the point that there is a circle where there should be a hex pattern.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2613.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	202777

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2610.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	202778

ANY help on how to get the last bolt out would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking about taking a small hack saw and sawing a notch in the head of the bolt. That would let me get a flat head screw driver in there. Does that sound like a good idea?

you need these mate

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

worth every cent if you are working on machinery that has been touched by an idiot in the past.....

Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    you need these mate

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

worth every cent if you are working on machinery that has been touched by an idiot in the past.....
    lol... I have an extractor kit. The area I have to work with is way too small though.

Got it!!!

It eventually came out using a 5mm allen wrench.... don't know how since it is so stripped.

Does anyone know the answer to my original question?

Whether or not the cat that is just floating around in the stinger could cause bogging?

Thanks for any help.

Yes, it can cause bogging. The way it's turned, the exhaust has nowhere to go and backs up.

For anyone interested, I got my parts yesterday afternoon (carb rebuild kits and d-plate & chip) and got everything installed by like, 2:15 last night (errr... this morning). Also replaced the fuel switch and fuel filter while I was in there. The ski started up after only about 30 total seconds of cranking - I was so happy.

Rebuilding the carbs turned out to be ALOT easier than I thought it was going to be. The hardest part were the stupid check valves, everything else was extremely simple. D-plate went in easy, too.

All of my gaskets looked incredibly clean, so I just gave them 2 light coats of copper spray-a-gasket. They seem to be sealed up fine.

The whole time we were driving to the ramp I was hoping and praying it was just going to go smoothly. Once we finally got to the ramp, it fired as soon as I pressed the button. Took it out and took it easy at first, then eventually opened her up and WOW was it awesome. She ran excellently, pulled hard, and most importantly got above 4,000 rpm, lol. It was a little choppy today, so I was only able to hit 59mph indicated.

Thanks to everyone who provided help/advice - more so through PMs than this thread, but whatever, lol. Also thanks to Jerry for the fast shipping and excellent customer service

Thread Information