How much grease is too much?

How much grease do you guys usually insert into the drive-shaft boot? I squeezed in about three full pulls into the boot with a small grease gun that I have. Usually one pull is about an ounce but I don't know with this little gun. At the same time I don't want to put to much in there and damage the boot.

Youre not going to damage it by putting too much in. I normally do one to three pumps, depending on how long its been since I last greased it up.

You know its too much when theres a mess around the thing after some riding... Not a big deal.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Depends on how much of an air pocket you are trying to fill up

Excess grease will squeeze out past the seals, either forward towards the engine, or out the back towards the jet pump.

I usually rotate the coupler cover so I can see the front grease seal while I am adding grease. Don't forget to rotate the cover back into position (open side down) and tighten the clamp before you go riding.

Don't squeeze the grease in too fast, and you will feel when the back pressure rises as the grease fills the housing and starts to force its way past the seal(s).

Have a look under the pump tunnel for excess grease coming out the rear seal. No need to have big blobs of grease coming out of the jet pump the next time you go riding.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Depends on how much of an air pocket you are trying to fill up

Excess grease will squeeze out past the seals, either forward towards the engine, or out the back towards the jet pump.

I usually rotate the coupler cover so I can see the front grease seal while I am adding grease. Don't forget to rotate the cover back into position (open side down) and tighten the clamp before you go riding.

Don't squeeze the grease in too fast, and you will feel when the back pressure rises as the grease fills the housing and starts to force its way past the seal(s).

Have a look under the pump tunnel for excess grease coming out the rear seal. No need to have big blobs of grease coming out of the jet pump the next time you go riding.
    Thanks K. Spot on.

Thread Information