Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1

What would you do?

I went to get my Great Dane vaccinated for his yearly shots, and did the combo package, shots, blood test, fecal etc. etc. Well the main Vet comes out, (which I never seen in my entire life there since being a customer) and she sits down and breaks the news on me, that my dog Tiny has been tested positive for heartworms . Everything else she said after that I dont remember since I was extremely upset. She gave me 3 choices, 1) Put the dog to sleep. 2) Put him on heartworm preventative which he will die eventually. 3) Treat him. My dog is only 2 3/4 years old, healthy and outgoing, he has been trained to do many things, never a problem. The treatment will be $800. He will have to quit playing and stop doing what he does best, during his treatment which is about 3-4 months. He will need to stay quiet and not get his heart rate going during the treatment because the worms will be dying and any sudden excitement could cause him a blockage from the dead worms, and a heart attack would occur.

I didnt keep my dog on Heart worm preventative, I just thought he would never needed it. He is mostly and inside dog. I should have chosen the $45 preventative, than a $800 gamble where I'm not guaranteed that my dog will survive.

I was planning on buying a new ski this year during late summer or fall, but doesnt look it will happen anytime soon, luck has never been on my side for worth a shit.

I now seem to love my dog more than the first day I got him, knowing his is sick, and just this thought fills my eyes with tears, I have attached some pics of this character, that my family calls my son, he's with me everywhere, on the ski, at the lake and even at sonic!.

there is also a video of his first time on a Doo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5390.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	202865

Name:	5386.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	202866

Name:	5385.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	202867

Name:	tiny.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	341.0 KB 
ID:	202868

Name:	0822091826.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	202869

+1
    If it makes you feel ay better my sister has a very large English Bulldog that had heart worms very bad and the diagnosis was exactly what you are saying your vet gave you. They selected to put him through the treatment for 4 months and he is perfectly fine now and enjoying life. If it were me I would find a way to pay the bill and attempt to give your buddy a second chance. Dogs will surprise you they are very resiliant. Also if he is a inside dog he used to relaxing so it will be easy for him... Good luck bro. He is going to make it.

I used to have a cocker spaniel who was diagnosed with heartworms when she was about 4 years old. We chose the treatment for Brandy and she was cured. It was very heart-wrenching to hear that diagnosis...especially for a dog who has stolen your heart. Brandy lived for several years after being treated. Unfortunately she had to be put to sleep a few years ago because she was very old and suffering from various advanced age ailments. Best wishes to you and your dog. He'll be fine!

+1
    treat the dog.. see if the vet would do payments.. or something.. my dog had heart worm.. great dog..one day he was very sluggish and not into doing anything.. i told my dad and we both thought it was the heat.. so we put him in the house and he got a little better... then the next morning he had broke out of the house and walked up to his out door kennel and past away from heart worm..he ended up saving 4 other dogs in the neighborhood..

but i f i had known he had that and he could maybe be cured i would have done it.. but i was very young back then and me and my father had know idea.

hang in there you will find a way to pay for it

+1
    btw you could always sell the ski and just ride the dog.. hes big enough lol

It's a JEEP thing...You wouldn't Understand dirtdude35's Avatar
    go to a different vet and get a second opinion. one vet told us that our dog had heart worms and one did not and he is still and alive and happy and playful as ever

+1
    Def. treat the dog. Its still very young and worth it. Good luck and hope everything works out!

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks guys. I have an Appointment set for July 12 she offered me to do payments, I didnt mind paying the whole amount there on the spot. But I thought since she said there was a risk, I thought to myself maybe I should do the payments just in case he doesnt make it.

Thread Information