96 xp electrical problem

I strated my ski yesterday let it idle for a minute or so then it just died .I started it again no problem then it died again .I pulled the key and reinstalled it .I got no beeps it wouldnt do anything .so I pulled the grey electrical box and found the 15 amp fuse was blown. I reinstalled everything with a new fuse it did the same thing but this time it didnt blow the fuse in th front electrical box it blew and melted the the 15 amp fuse and fuse holder in the rear black electrical box .I replaced the fuse and holder with a new one I disconected the vts system and the red wire from the rectifire now it runs fine but im not sure what fixed the problem. if my rectifire is bad or the trim was causing the problem .what do these fuses control ?
    thanks
    Les

Quote Originally Posted by XP537 View Post
    I strated my ski yesterday let it idle for a minute or so then it just died .I started it again no problem then it died again .I pulled the key and reinstalled it .I got no beeps it wouldnt do anything .so I pulled the grey electrical box and found the 15 amp fuse was blown. I reinstalled everything with a new fuse it did the same thing but this time it didnt blow the fuse in th front electrical box it blew and melted the the 15 amp fuse and fuse holder in the rear black electrical box .I replaced the fuse and holder with a new one I disconected the vts system and the red wire from the rectifire now it runs fine but im not sure what fixed the problem. if my rectifire is bad or the trim was causing the problem .what do these fuses control ?
    thanks
    Les

The rear 15 amp is the fuse for the mpem from the battery the one in the gray box runs to the rectifier. You need to check both the rectifier and the magneto. That red wire you disconnected it the charge wire back to the battery. You fixed it by removing the severe short that blowing the fuses. One thing that can blow that fuse is metal shavings floating around in the mag cup area. They come from the starter. Not saying that's it but while surfing the site have seen the topic brought up. That's my .02

If you need a manual you can download it from here.
    http://seadoomanuals.net/manuals/199...hop-manual.php

Thread Information