2001 stx di 1100 will not idle

so yesterday i picked this ski up as a second to have around to take friends to the lake with us. bught it from an older guy whos kids are grown up and it hasnt been on the water in two years. during the test drive it still had two year old gas in it and surged a little bit at first but then cleared out and ran fine for about a half hour or so. ran it down to the low fuel light during the test drive then bought it and took it and filled it with 93 and a half can of sea foam. tried to find a new set of plugs in area but cannot get any for a few days. anyways we went to the lake later anyways and when unloading it started right up idled great for probly 10 min till we got outta the boueys. my friend rode it for around a half hour and we pulled into a cove and it died. to make a long story short now it will not idle to save its life. last night i checked comp 140ish on all three and by that i mean +- 1 psi. cleaned plugs and checked fuel filter and no derbis came out. still no idle, any sugguestions? i know i need plugs but i just dont think thats all of it. thanks guys

get the plugs installed first, also a hot [ 2 cans seafoam ] to a few gallons fuel will do a better job of cleaning the system quicker.

is there an slternative plug to use rather than the oem ngk one? i am really curious as to whats going on with it and if i could slap some new plugs in it for now and then put the oems in tues when they come in.

the factory plug number is pzfr7g-g. will anything else work?

got new plugs in and did some heavily concentrated running with sea foam. still no idle.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Hiya, it's hard around major holidays to get any kind of significant help around here..most folks are off riding or like me buried to the gunnals in promised work for the holiday weekend.

couple of things to get you going here...

first, there is no substitute for the really expensive sparkplugs..sorry. Don't get suckered into using a cross referenced plug. of course if the engine won't run at all.....

Seafoam has a good rep, but it ain't some magic elixar ( well maybe it is..lots of folks swear by it..I've never had a boat where I wanted to use it yet)

Sorry, but I'll suggest draining the fuel tank completely, and get some know good quality fuel in there. Old fuel..who knows what was really going on..passing the sniffer test isn't always enough.

Gotta make sure your battery is fully up to snuff, terminals clean and tight at at least 12.6 volts siting there.

While it sounds like a fuel pump problem, it can also be a few other things.

The crank position sensor on that model has had some issue ( at least for me, I've seen two of them do this) with the leads breaking right where they enter the sensor body. Breaks inside the insulation..you can't see it! They ohm out OK. Sniff around that a little bit..take a look at the wires..don't tug on em this weekend..ski still runs at wide open..so who really cares if it dies at idle this weekend? The crank position sensor attaches to the front right side of the engine..two wire connector

Most if not all the stuff that applies to Polairs FI applies to this system as well. I know a bit about it, but 447 is the guru on all things polaris, specially FI systems. I just work on alot of them, so I have a good level of practical experience.

Now for the bad news....

worst case is that the EMM has taken a dump..this can happen if the ski is jumpstarted from a running vehicle ( a likely situation based on your situation)

Good news is they can be fixed for less then half the cost of a replacement

I would suggest you call around to the local shops and see if anybody has a scan-sea or the kawasaki diagnostic software.you need that at minimum before you even think about changing a fuel injector (I've never seen one actually go bad on it's own..don't mess with them!) They can also read error codes that might have been thrown by the system

To check the fuel pressure, just get a gauge at the local auto parts store..there is a fitting near the tank to hook onto....gotta be careful however.,.high pressure fuel and exposed engines are a pretty risky combination for a newbie mechanic.

for now I'd suggest this:

get a digital voltmeter and measure the battery voltage at idle and at 3krpm ( don't run it for too long on the hose ( 30 seconds is all you will need to take these measurements),you'll overheat the pump and driveline bearings (they need to be submerged in water to keep thier cool)

Check ALL wire harness connectors for water/corrosion be careful and methodical..old plastic is brittle and the connectors are a pain to replace.

Find a shop that has diagnostic gear..or at least knows about fitch. Direct questions get direct answers at a quality shop

Use the search feature here, I typically won't respond directly to any private messages for help, it's against the purpose of this forum, which is to share as much info among as many people as possible. I've been busy this week..I typically will respond to a call for help on the forum on something I know a little about, specially if it's from somebody new who posts good starting details on what they have and what they've done.

Out of respect for my immediate neighbors, I won't run engines in my tank till at least 9:30am..most are retired or are here for the peace and quiet..sorry about the ski shop that setup in that building that had been for sale for 5 years... So in the early am I'm here guzzing espresso and reading hulk...

oh yeah..welcome aboard!

captin pete thanks for the help!!! heres what i did last night. put in fresh over priced plugs haha jk (i understand thier importance with injection) drained the gas tank and refilled. unscrewed tps started and wiggled around and engine responding well to it. removed fuel filter again and sloshed around and emptied and it was clean. not much on blowing but blew into it and it seemed free flowing. so i then routed myself to checking the crank sensor which outside appearence is excellent and wiggled gently while running with no malfunction in return. i then dug myself deeper into search and got into the polaris ficht sys and was assuming some of the specs were the same found out about the 45 volt system on the injectors. so i went out and checked and 3500+ rpm holds 44.9 45v. under 3000 or so and it starts dropping around 23 or so. so i think ive narrowed out alot of possible issues. i spoke with dfi today and after this weekend i will send them my emm. my question now is could it possibly be the stator failing? on the batt its charging 13.5 plus. however due to running conditions i cannot check in lower rpm but the battery is healthy. is there an accurate way to check stator and specs on it? i will go from there. and thanks again for your help i had tried searching but had come up with no results because i was searching in kawasaki only and had to get into the polaris stuff to figure some info out. but i got the search figured out slightly more now.

oh, i also checked fuel pressure last night 22-26psi. from what ive read is acceptable correct? and as for a reputable shop around here....... well nvm wel just leave it as theyr all a bunch of crooked a$$ holes. i called the most reputable around and asked if they would simply read the codes for me. they said we dont have the software but we can diagnose and fix it. as you hear the beep beep of the backing up from the short bus dropping the mechanics off for the day. no one has any luck with any shops around here. so im out on that one.

Thread Information