Project XR-1800 w/twin SHO's..... lots of work to do

Just bought a 2000 XR-1800 with twin SHO's on the cheap,, and got what i paid for i guess. Engines were installed and running when i purchased the boat but after backing into the water on the trailer and idling for a few seconds the intermediate housing unit on the right side blew its bearing and did a little damage to the hull. went home and started inspecting only to find both engines have about a 50-50 mix of water and oil for lubrication (looked like wendys frosty mix). Now im stuck with a poorly assembled project boat that im determined to see through and enjoy eventually. I am an accomplished mechanic, nobody touches my camaro or ducati's but me with a wrench,,,, but i have no experience with a boat so ill need lots of advice from you guys on here. I have no idea what condition the engines are in since finding the water in the oil, but i plan on pulling both of them and pulling the pan off to inspect the bottom end before turning the key again. first stage is to get the engines running in stock form reliably, then maybe adding some power!

Good luck with your project. I have always liked the look of the XR-1800, and with twin SHO engines it should fly. Hope everything works out for you.

+1
    where did you happen to find this for sale? where are you located?

Moderated
    sorry to hear its not quite what you expected but you sure do have a great platform to start with.....mmmmm twin SHO' motors running 16psi

16 psi will come, but first im aiming for running....

I won the boat on ebay from a kid in south tampa named chris garcia. it was advertised as a well running boat with new SHO's, rebuilt pumps, and a new bilge pump and blower. needless to say the boat was absolutely not as advertised!! more water in the oil than oil,,, NO blower and a crappy broken bilge pump that didnt even have a hose to pump overboard with.

im located in louisville ky
    Last edited by jimmyducati; 06-28-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: info ommited

this sounds cool! can you post some pics of the boat and engines? good luck with the project!

The boat is SICK as long as the motors are good. But whoever installed the motors is a retard. They are pointed about 15 degrees downward from front to back, with the SC air filters through the back seats. They also have the oem SHO motor couplers mated up to the much smaller oem XR-1800 PTO couplers. Needless to say they ate each other up in short order. But the wiring albeit a bit messy, is impressive to me. Both engines are up and running (electrically) with only so much as (2) analog tach's and a GPS speedo, No PWC displays. Maybe its easier than I thought to do, but I figured wiring up one of these, with all the computer checks, throttle by wire etc... without displays would be a huge undertaking, if it was even possible. But the boat has tremendous potential. Imagine a sub 2000lb. boat with twin 350+ hp engines... Add some HO pumps, and off to the races. The boat would do 65mph with the twin 155's and old style pumps. 70mph with some engine mods. I see an 80+mph boat possible here...

Im glad one of us is excited about this! I think im going to be bringing the boat to Knox early next week to pull the engines and get the frosty mix out of them. Maybe we can fill em with diesel fuel, throw em in the back of the expedition and drive down a bumpy road to clean em out? anyway, ill send ya a text to see if ya wanna lend a hand, ill defiantly need help making the template for that bulkhead repair.

Its better to burn out than fade away christian79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyducati View Post
    Im glad one of us is excited about this! I think im going to be bringing the boat to Knox early next week to pull the engines and get the frosty mix out of them. Maybe we can fill em with diesel fuel, throw em in the back of the expedition and drive down a bumpy road to clean em out? anyway, ill send ya a text to see if ya wanna lend a hand, ill defiantly need help making the template for that bulkhead repair.
    Hey jimmy.... you made it over hear too. Sweet! Don't worry about the boat, Chris will be able to help you out. He has been thinking about this type of project for years. If anyone can help, its him.

Thread Information