Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

blew up the sl650 on its first day out need help!!!!!!!

Ok well I bought a barely used 95 sl650 and after i brought it home i lubed everything, checked all the lines to make sure they were good(which they were), bought a new sealed Gel cell battery and put new ngk plugs in her. I then topped off the gas and oil and it fired and ran right up!!!!!! After it ran I checked the compression and it was 120 across all three. Next I put a new winch on the trailer hooked it up to the truck a few days later and took it to the lake. After about 2 hours of rippin around I took it a 1/2 mile from the dock was runnin some wide open throttle runs and then it lost a bunch of power. I limped back to the dock changed the pluggs and it acted the same way. So after that i put it on the trailer and took her home to do some dignostic. Well it turns out the front mag cylinder now has no compression. Sooooooooo i guess its rebuild time!!!! I guess i should have done the triple fuel pump before its maiden voyage cause im guessing it was fuel starved. Now I need all the tips and advice everyone can give me about the rebuild. Where should i get a new piston and rings. hopefully the sleve isnt messed up. can i do this with the motor still in the ski? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!Also I was doin some inspecting and I saw some A oil line that comes out of the oil tank and it is like 7 inches long (has some type of nipple thing on the end) Laying in the bottom of the hull was another line that went back alongside the hull besiddes the engine with the same kind of nipple on the end. Did i lose something because nothing was in the hull. Help please.

That is why these guys say to rebuild those carbs. At first I honestly was not going to do it and probably would not have if my brother didn't give me a hand with it. However, these guys here scared the hell out of me so I ordered a rebuild kit and did it in one afternoon. Mine looked good when they came out. The needles looked good and seated but did the rebuild anyway. My ski was sitting for at least 4 years and had no gas in the tank. I am not sure if the empty tank made a difference or not.

These guys here will probably have parts for you. They are great guys.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TopCop931 View Post
    That is why these guys say to rebuild those carbs...
    Exactly. It is WAY less expensive to rebuild the carbs up front, than to do it after you burn down a piston.

BTW, welcome to the Hulk

I just bought a Polaris PWC - what should I do?

Polaris Fuji (blue) engine

Do you have a Clymer Manual? You are going to need it for the rebuild. If you don't have one they are between $25.00 and $35.00 on ebay and Amazon.

Where should I get a piston and ring set? How much do they run?. Could you guys answer the bottom question about the oil tank lines please!!

single piston kit should run you about $90 shipped, plus you will need gaskets. Find a local machine shop that will put a new hone on the cylinder. Replace the lines, even if they look good.

But you also need to do the pump and carbs rebuild. All in it should be less then $400. worth it for more years of usage.

+1
    YES YES YES! Rebuild the carbs and do the triple pump upgrade. Just bought a SLT 750 CHEAP because the guy burnt a piston spent 800.00 bucks having it repaired, took it out one time and burnt another piston. Fuel system was a mess. Little filters in each carb was full of gunk!

Well if I have to hone the cylinder I guess I will have to pull the motor.I thought I could just do a new piston etc. without pulling the motor. Is it hard to do with the motor still in? Also whats with the grease fittings on the pto. They dont seem to be normal zerk fittings . They are flat with a dished middle and a small hole in the midddle??????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Polarisnewbee View Post
    Well if I have to hone the cylinder I guess I will have to pull the motor.I thought I could just do a new piston etc. without pulling the motor. Is it hard to do with the motor still in? Also whats with the grease fittings on the pto. They dont seem to be normal zerk fittings . They are flat with a dished middle and a small hole in the midddle??????????????
    Post pics of your piston so that these experienced guys here can see what it looks like. Unless you got metal down in the case I don't think you have to pull the engine just the jug. I don't know exactly what fittings you are talking about on the PTO but I don't think they are grease fittings.

I didnt think so they look more like Oil fittings. If so how am I suppossed to grease the pto. cause i see no zerk fittings

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information