785 Pro Problem!

I just bought my first wave runner. Its a 97 785 Pro. I took it out for a test ride when I bought it and it ran like a champ. Wow! Tons of power!
    Then I just took it out yesterday and it will only idle. If I give it any gas the engine will die. If I let off the throttle right away it will save it and keep idling. It also feels and sounds a little rough when its idling.

Does that sound like a dirty carb?

Can anyone give me any advice on what this would be and how to fix it?
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Step ONE is do NOT ride it.

Learn about it, check, clean, repair and update as necessary. Only after you have made sure everything is good, then you can go riding.

I just bought a Polaris PWC - what should I do?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Have you done a compression test?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bradmscott View Post
    I just bought my first wave runner. Its a 97 785 Pro. I took it out for a test ride when I bought it and it ran like a champ. Wow! Tons of power!
    Then I just took it out yesterday and it will only idle. If I give it any gas the engine will die. If I let off the throttle right away it will save it and keep idling. It also feels and sounds a little rough when its idling.

Does that sound like a dirty carb?

Can anyone give me any advice on what this would be and how to fix it?
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Hey and welcome, pro's always sound and feel a little rough at idle. How long did the ski sit before you purchased it? Like mentioned above do a compression check. Your numbers should be between 120-130 on all 3 cylinders if it has the stock head on it. A clogged carb is a clogged carb, the symptoms don't come and go. Depending on how long it sat, do the usual cleaning of the carbs and replacement of old tempo fuel lines. It might sound weird but cut all the spark plug wires back a 1/4" and see if that helps as well. Needles and seats could be worn and not operating properly. There are lots of things to check that doesn't cost a ton of money. Also check and see if your exhaust power valves are opening an closing.

When you are out on the water, take the seat off and see if all 3 cylinders are warm and the somewhat the same temp. it is possible that all 3 may not be firing, if this is the case, one or more will be a lot cooler than the ones that are firing. Also keep in mind that the pro has a large waterbox and sometimes it will feel a little boggy out of the whole-shot and you might have to goose the throttle a little to clear it out.

I know its a lot to take in, just take your time and ask the questions and hopefully everyone can help you get your ski up and running like it should.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the help.
    I'm going to try a few of these over the next few days and see if it helps.
    A quick question on a compression test. I have never done one but this is what I found on how to do it.
    Is this the correct way?
    "When testing compression : Cold engine: Be sure your battery is good and fully charged to max befor testing, Remove all 3 plug wires and store them safely away from the engine area and be sure there is no gas or fumes in hull, remove only on sprakplug at a time ( leave the other two in when testing ) Un plug electrical power valve servo motor, be sure power valves are closed, hold throttle full open when testing, record gauge reading, repete test again on same cyl. just to get a good reading, then do the same on the other two cyls. If you battery seams to slow down during testing re charge battery between each cyl. test , This is the only way to do a good compression test IMO, Tommy Jordan"

And if it is, how will it give me any reading when I hit the throttle and it dies?
    And do I really need to Un plug electrical power valve servo motor, and be sure power valves are closed? I only ask becuase I don't know what that is.

Thanks for helping me get into the sport guys.
    -Brad

+1
    you need to take all the plugs out and leave them out while doing the test.. theservo motor is what powers tje valves on exaust side of the motor.. they are the things that move up and down while you give it gas..

Thread Information