96 SL750 - No electrical juice to anything

Trying to get my ski on the water for the summer, but I am having a major electrical issue. I have a new battery that is fully charged, but I am not getting juice to anything. The electric trim does nothing, the gauge is dead, and nothing from the starting system. All I get when I hit the starter is the click of the solenoid.

I measured, and there is current going across the solenoid when engaged (to the other red wire) I re-did the ground to the engine and is is good.

Is there a fuse that I am missing? I connection I forgot to make when I removed the battery in the fall?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pinchvalve View Post
    Trying to get my ski on the water for the summer, but I am having a major electrical issue. I have a new battery that is fully charged, but I am not getting juice to anything. The electric trim does nothing, the gauge is dead, and nothing from the starting system. All I get when I hit the starter is the click of the solenoid.

I measured, and there is current going across the solenoid when engaged (to the other red wire) I re-did the ground to the engine and is is good.

Is there a fuse that I am missing? I connection I forgot to make when I removed the battery in the fall?
    Follow the power flow from the battery.

Do you have battery voltage on Red/Purple wires inside the electrical box?

Do you have battery voltage on the Black terminals inside the electrical box?
    You shouldn't.

If you manually short the heavy red terminals on the solenoid, does the engine crank?

Reading through the forum in detail, I tried to "wiggle" the engine cutoff switch (lanyard thing) and sure enough I can get some crank if it is just so. I will pull it and double check everything and check back in. Still doesn't explain the lack of trim power or MFD. I am going to pull the electrical box and clean and double-check everything. It looks pretty grimy inside and could use a going-over.

electrical box shouldn't be grimy at all. get it cleaned out and dried. also replace the fuse for the mfd. The tips section has info on this, as does a search.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stl_sl650 View Post
    electrical box shouldn't be grimy at all. get it cleaned out and dried. also replace the fuse for the mfd. The tips section has info on this, as does a search.
    Not grimy, but from the factory the electrical connections are all smeared with dielectric grease to keep corrosion away.

Lot's of dielectric grease, but also a lot of what looks like sand. Considering its age and abuse it gets bouncing across the water, I would rather pull and clean it all up and know everything is secure before I head out across the water. Sounds like some simple ground issues. A wiring diagram would really help if anyone knows how to download one. Al I can find is the 780.

Look at k447's signature for what your asking.

Sand in the box isn't necessarily good. Greasy is ok, but shouldn't be sand in there.

Thread Information