2002 fx140 camshaft timing help

Does anyone know of a simple way to set the camshaft timing on a 2002 FX140? I bought an engine with the head removed and not a thing marked. I know about bringing the 1# piston flywheel end to tdc...but I don't see any timing marks on the camshaft sprockets or camshafts.Thanks for the help
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01132.jpg 
Views:	1158 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	202954

Look at the cam caps you will see an arrow, rotate the cams until the dots on the cams line up with the arrows. Make sure you use a dial indicator to verify TDC for #1 when you install the cams. If you try to guess on TDC you will have big problems. Once you have everything installed roll the motor over a couple of times and verify TDC and cam marks are correct.

Please excuse my ignorance but i don't see any dots on these camshafts where exactly are they located? I see the arrows on the caps and the only dots I see are on the cam sprockets.Thanks for the reply.

+1
    The cams for this head definitely have the marks- I've seen them.

Keep looking, there's only one dot per cam. They're right outside one of the bearings.

They are similar to the sho marks http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ght=cam+timing

Sorry I don't have any photos of the HO cams

Quote Originally Posted by GP1800 View Post
    They are similar to the sho marks http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ght=cam+timing

Sorry I don't have any photos of the HO cams

Those were HO cams going into a SHO

i searched and found the same thread..my camshafts do not look like those...i will post close up pics tomorrow..i got an oem manual and clymer and they pretty much say that the #1 cylinder needs to be at tdc and the intake lobe faces the intake and the exhaust faces the exhaust..i hate just to wing it. thanks for the replies.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by truairspeed View Post
    i searched and found the same thread..my camshafts do not look like those...i will post close up pics tomorrow..i got an oem manual and clymer and they pretty much say that the #1 cylinder needs to be at tdc and the intake lobe faces the intake and the exhaust faces the exhaust..i hate just to wing it. thanks for the replies.
    Go ahead and position the cam like that for the #1 cyl. Look up and down the entire length of the cam and you will find the mark on there somewhere. The mark doesn't have to necessarily be close to the #1 cyl.

The mark is a small black dot and will be right outside of one of the cam caps, close to one of the arrows.

thanks for all the help i finally found the marks.on the intake cam the mark is right behind the #1 & #2 cam cap on the cm lob and on the exhaust its behind the #3 & #4 on the cam lobe...thanks again

Thread Information