96 gsx thru hull question?? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi, this is my first seadoo and although I build custom cars 50 hours a weak ill admit that watercraft is not my strong point. Any help from a seadoo tech or performance shop would be greatly appreciated. My machine is bone stock, 30 hours on the guage well serviced and runs perfect. As you can see by the pics its only cosmetically modified and im going to leave it mechanically stock as well ( no matter what I do ill never catch my friends rxps etc). The last modification I want to do is a thru hull exhaust just under the grab bar behind the seat. I have already fabbed up all the pipe etc but before I cut the hump above the tow hook I would like to know if there is any issues with doing this. From what im seeing and again im not a seadoo tech, all the important stuff is way in front of the area I want to fit to all im doing is moving the exit forward and up. I cant get a good enough response from any dealers or shops out here, mainly because they havent seen it done before. Originally I was just going to fab a pipe that slipped in the factory exhaust and came out of the water, but I really want to have the exaust coming from under the seat like like my bike. Its strictly for the noise and im not expecting any performance gains.

Thanks in advance for your reply
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Stirtonhotrodz View Post
    Hi, this is my first seadoo and although I build custom cars 50 hours a weak ill admit that watercraft is not my strong point. Any help from a seadoo tech or performance shop would be greatly appreciated. My machine is bone stock, 30 hours on the guage well serviced and runs perfect. As you can see by the pics its only cosmetically modified and im going to leave it mechanically stock as well ( no matter what I do ill never catch my friends rxps etc). The last modification I want to do is a thru hull exhaust just under the grab bar behind the seat. I have already fabbed up all the pipe etc but before I cut the hump above the tow hook I would like to know if there is any issues with doing this. From what im seeing and again im not a seadoo tech, all the important stuff is way in front of the area I want to fit to all im doing is moving the exit forward and up. I cant get a good enough response from any dealers or shops out here, mainly because they havent seen it done before. Originally I was just going to fab a pipe that slipped in the factory exhaust and came out of the water, but I really want to have the exaust coming from under the seat like like my bike. Its strictly for the noise and im not expecting any performance gains.

Thanks in advance for your reply
    Ross
    Wouldn't this completely bypass the water box as no water would ever actually get in or out of the box with the exhaust above the waterline of the ski?

It would also be ridiculously loud

From my experience I do not see a problem with this.

However, I would leave all the water lines as is. The only thing I would change is the tube from the water box to the outlet (in the new location) I would not make a new tube. I think you should take and cut the current tube that goes from the wb to the outlet. Cut it and turn it the way and length you need. You can use a coupler inside the tube to reconnect (I think 2.25" works) and then rotate the tube the way you need. I did this on my xp and it worked well to put the exhaust on the other side. If you need a pic i can find one.

My only warning would be keep the stock water routing and line, and don't change the pipe size/bends a much as possible. The back pressure is important on this motor.

To be honest the idea is out there, which I like it when people try different things. However i am kind of failing to see how the sound volume will change except at idle. The exhaust currently is out of the water when on plane, the only time it is under water is at idle.

So by moving it up it will just be a foot higher then where it is and I don't see that changing the sound....just my 2 cents. If you think about a car with an exhaust a foot higher up the bumper does it make it louder? It is not like moving a boat exhaust (which is always under water) to above water, which i have seen done and makes sense.

GL
    Dean

its going to drip nasty sh*t all over you hull too.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies, during the day today I decided to finish it and try it once and for all. I had it out on the water tonight and it seemed to be fine. The noise level wasnt even close to as loud as I thought, which was ok. I was actually pretty happy with the tone of the exhaust. Just like a car the location of the exhaust exit makes all the difference in the sound. My seadoo exited under water all the time. by moving it up the foot higher its now out of the water completely, I may have confused some people a little about where is was going. All in all, it was a good deal and now its finished. All the other water box related parts stayed in tact, and the only mod was the exhaust from the water tank OUT 1 pipe thats it. I sectioned it in the center and added a T the center of the T was now my exit just under the rear of the grab bar, as for the rest of the system I out a cap in the existing outlet ( which was under water) and left that part of the system in tact, Minus the hole in the body I could easily change it back at any point, as for the hole I cut it clean with a hole saw, and I have body shop so it would be a relitively easy repair.

Thanks again for all the help,

Ross

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    well you know you have to post a pic of this creation now

Thread Information