Question 1997 SL 900 issues

Hello, I am having some issues with my 97 SL 900. Last year when taking the batter out for the winter, one of the terminal was completely rusted and would not budge. Upon breaking the terminal off, the wrench came in contact with the electronics box. Not good. This year, when I hook up the battery, my bilge pump turns on, and the ski will not start. When I hit the starter button, the starter spins, but does not fully engage. The batter is fully charged. I have read in some other post that this may be a sign of a bad voltage regulator/rectifier due to what I did last year? Am I heading in the right direction?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Are you sure you did not reverse the battery connections?

100% sure. The wrench from the negative terminal came in contact with the bottom of the electrical box, and sparks flew all over the place. It was the disconnection of the battery when this happened. Perhaps I should have had so many Buds.....Since then I have had this problem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ThetaDgt View Post
    100% sure. The wrench from the negative terminal came in contact with the bottom of the electrical box, and sparks flew all over the place. Since then I have had this problem.
    That would not cause sparks.

The shell of the electrical box is internally connected to the battery negative wire.

What would spark is if you were working on the positive battery terminal first, before removing the negative battery cable.

If the battery negative terminal is removed first, and there is tool contact between the negative post and other exposed things like the electrical box, it will not cause a spark (since they are already normally wired together).

After you remove the battery negative connection, now there is no problem with working on the positive battery terminal. Even if your tool contacts other metal things, the other battery terminal is already disconnected, so no sparks.

This is why the instructions ALWAYS say to remove the battery negative connection first. It is safer for both the equipment and the person doing the work.

Note: That sparking may also mean that some of the Black ground wires to the electrical box, or inside it, have been damaged.

I'll have to go and take a look. I swear it was the negative, but being so long ago it could it have been the positive. I know both terminals were so rusted, both had to be broken off. If I was stupid and it was the positive that jumped, would a fried regulator cause the symptoms I am having?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ThetaDgt View Post
    ...would a fried regulator cause the symptoms I am having?
    The bilge pump turning on when the battery is connected may indicate a bad voltage regulator, but first check the electrical grounds (all of them).

The starter just spinning means either the battery is connected backwards, or the Bendix gear inside the flywheel housing is not working/stuck/broken.

I'll check them all in the morning and get back. I know the ski was working perfectly before I did this.

Thread Information