Wink 95 polaris 780 slt Grounding problem I think,HELP

I have a 95 polaris 780 slt.Started it fine last weekend, bounced aorund on the waves and screen went out.Once i let off the throttle and it idled out then I couldnt restart it, it was like battery came disconnected.BUt when I touched the electical box(cdi?) to the engine block i heard bilge pump come on and I was able to start iot.TOday I tried fixing it, I found alot of bare wires in the wiring harness coming out of cdi(all different colored wired, soe were broken) tried splicing them together and at first when I touched the pos and neg to battery it sounded like it was going to come on, although still no screen.Once i hooked up battery, I got nothing.SO, then i tried touching the battery neg with a wire and with the otehr end of the wire i touched the cdi and it sounded like it was coming on, the bilge pump was coming on.I was thinking where the cdi sits on top of the battery does it create some sort of ground or connection, or is a ground connection somewhere else loose or something?PLease help, Im getting gray hairs over this.lol.
    BETTY

Wow. There shouldn't be any bare wires coming out of the electrical box. Are you sure there wasn't a problem that caused them to get hot and burn the insulation off? You've got to start by repairing all those broken wires and replacing those that are bare with insulated wire of the same (or larger) gauge. All of those wires are there for a good reason, they need to be connected. Make sure you solder them (do not just twist them together and for goodness sake, PLEASE do not use scotch-lock connectors). Make sure they are soldered and use shrink tube to cover the solder joints when you are done, preferably the good kind with the sealant in it. If you are not sure how to do this, I recommend taking it somewhere. Good luck and keep us posted.

YES, you are exactly right.I didnt have a cover over the battery so I rode it last year with the elec box sitting right on top of the battery and sure enough the coatig around the wires got burned right off.Some of the wired were stuck together.So there are a few spots where there is no insualtion on the wires and thats where the wires are damaged.I havent opened the box eyt to see if theres any damage inside.Is there more than one ground?I was thinking maybe the ground wire from the elec box has been damaged,maybe?Thanks for your help.Im gonna work on it today, and ill keep updatin.Thank you, i truly appreciate it.
    Betty

[QUOTE=betty;1479608]YES, you are exactly right.I didnt have a cover over the battery so I rode it last year with the elec box sitting right on top of the battery and sure enough the coatig around the wires got burned right off.Some of the wired were stuck together.So there are a few spots where there is no insualtion on the wires and thats where the wires are damaged.I havent opened the box eyt to see if theres any damage inside.Is there more than one ground?I was thinking maybe the ground wire from the elec box has been damaged,maybe?Thanks for your help.Im gonna work on it today, and ill keep updatin.Thank you, i truly appreciate it.

Get a battery cover & use the straps to keep the whole package stable! E-BOX just laying on battery is asking for trouble.
    Brian

Thread Information