Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Proper Gas : Oil Ratio for a 2000 Kawasaki Ultra 150

Does anyone know the proper gas to oil ratio for a 2000 Kawasaki Ultra 150?

I am trying to get a feel for when I should add oil to the reservoir. I recent blew a piston by "going lean" and I want to avoid that again. So I am looking to calculate how many 5-gallon fill-ups I can do before I should pay really close attention to my oil reserve.

Thanks.

I Googled this to see what I could find.

I didn't seem find a straight forward answer on the net but what I believe from what I am reading online is that the injection ratio should be 50:1. Can anyone confirm that?

Then, if that's the case, I should be going through 1 gallon of oil for every 50 gallons of fuel (or every 10 - 5-gallon-fill-ups)

I put a gallon of synthetic oil in the reservoir 5 fill-ups ago (or 25 gallons of fuel). So I should be down to ˝ a reservoir of oil. Yet when I look at the reservoir, the oil line seems to be near the top of its tank. Plus the oil guage on the dash reads out as full.

Now I am concerned that I running lean because not enough oil is getting into the system. Yesterday I ran for 2˝ clocks hours on the water and I and my boys were running the machine as hard as we would normally...not extremely hard and only maxing out at around 45 mph. (BTW, after rebuilding the damaged cylinder, this machine has tremendous power in it -- I can't even image trying to hit 65+mph and live).

Anyway, what can a newbie like myself do to eye inspect or otherwise dig deeper to see if there are any oil injection issues?

I just top it off every other weekend or more often if I have ridden alot. I try to never let it get below a 1/2 tank of oil.

The oil pump is variable rate depending on rpm so it wont be a fixed 50:1 or something like that.

I agree with Morris, just top it off before each ride just to be safe.

The 50:1 specs from Kawa is correct but as was explained above it depends on RPM. So it is only going to mix at 50:1 and lets say 7K in the rpm band. Lower the rpm lower the oil mix ratio.

Should be standard practice to check your oil lines before each ride to make sure they are not loose, cracked or brittle. Other then that as long as it is topped off you should be good. If not, you might have other issues other then oil.

Thanks Morris and Texan.

So I think I am interpreting what you are saying here as follows:

• the slower we ride (fewer RPM's) the more oil we consume on average
    • the faster we ride (more RPM's) the less oil we consume on average
    This is helpful for me to understand so I don't panic that I over or under burn oil (well let's say get concerned on the under burning side "lean-ing"...)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra151 View Post
    Thanks Morris and Texan.

So I think I am interpreting what you are saying here as follows:

• the slower we ride (fewer RPM's) the more oil we consume on average
    • the faster we ride (more RPM's) the less oil we consume on average
    You are interpreting it right, just have it backwards.

• the slower you ride (fewer RPM's) the less oil you will consume on average
    • the faster you ride (more RPM's) the more oil you consume on average

I can't speak for the Ultra for sure how the oil pump is set up on it, but I am sure it is the same considering the specs. If it is like the ZXi's the oil pump is driven off crank. Which is why more RPM's more oil it will pump, less RPM's less oil. These pumps are pre-set from Kawa so you can change them ether.

+1
    The oil gauge on the Ultra 150 is just about useless. It only reads Full, Almost Empty, & Your Engine Is Toast; and when it gets low, it moves fast.

I found that my oil tank leaked a lot when it was full. I tried to seal the top by wrapping stainless safety wire around the rubber stopper, but that didn't help. I finally solved the problem by leaving the tank level slightly low, but the tank is an odd shape, making it difficult to determine how much oil you really have. I check it each day I use it.

Take a close look at the cable that goes to your oil pump. I'd bet that it's frayed. Mine was almost worn in two after about 150 hours.

Steve, thanks for confirming this. I am beginning to believe that the fact that I cannot conclusively tell how much oil (or even gas for that matter) is in my tank, at any given time, is the reason why I blew a piston (see my post at http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...der&highlight=)

My oil gauge consistently reads full yet I haven't added oil in a while. And my gas meter goes all over the place as well. I can't see through the reservoirs to get a feel for where the levels are so it really concerns me. Someone mentioned "topping off" every week or so.

How do you "top off". That is, do you wait until the fluid level comes to the top of the fill hole?

I fill them all the way to the cap.

Thanks Morris...that helps me greatly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information