Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

cleaning engine bay after riding questions

i mainly ride the CT river into the sound where their is a popular bar/beach, we tie the skis off by the buoy while we are there, and then ride the river back. last time i opened the seat i noticed that there was salt water spots on the valve cover and what not. is it ok to wash the motor thoroughly after riding? any tips or suggestions or does and donts?

Yes, I fully drench the motor and Pulley area. Simple green in a spray bottle, then rinse, and make sure all water off the intake manifold is wiped up. When dry, spay with lube and you're all good.

+1
    what kind of lube, is one recommended better than an other?

Quote Originally Posted by 98gsxl951 View Post
    what kind of lube, is one recommended better than an other?
    I use CRC Longlife. That stuff protects good.

Fluid Film is the lube of choice for me, someone on here is a distributor, I forget whom. But do a search on it. Lots of PWC owners use this

saltaway nozzel and dawn dish washing soap.......spray the shit out of it, like a soapy wet dog, all the nooks and crannies.....tip up the ski and rinse.....simple as that.......

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MKaman View Post
    saltaway nozzel and dawn dish washing soap.......spray the shit out of it, like a soapy wet dog, all the nooks and crannies.....tip up the ski and rinse.....simple as that.......
    +1 I picked up the salt away nozzle at Marc's recommendation and it works great with dish soap. I also put some dish soap into the flush fitting before I hook up the water hose.

+1
    so just get the nozzle (not the cleaning agent ) and dish washer soap? so basically i do not need to be worried if i get the electrical connections and other stuff a little wet? do you guys start the ski after washing the engine bay and let it run on the water?

+1
    you can get the cleaning agent if you want. It came with my "kit" I bought but I haven't used it yet.
    Here is what I do....but I'm a bit nuts, especially after riding salt water.
    I wash the outside of the ski first with the seats on.
    I flush the ski on the hose with soap/water. I then hose down the inside compartments with soap/water then rinse. I slide the ski back on the trailer and put a blanket on the driveway and tilt it back with the plugs open to drain as I do a finish rinse. I then use an air wand hooked to the air compressor to blow as much water down off the motor as I can while It's tipped up in the air. Put the ski/trailer back level then use a sponge to sponge out any water I can from between the motor and gas tank. I then do one quick start off the hose, blip the throttle once and shut it down. Then roll the ski back into the garage with the seat off and lay a box fan on top to circulate air.
    The only time I spray CRC 6-56 all over everything is right before I ride salt. Otherwise I leave everything dry and it stays dry after cleaning. I have zero corrosion. However, my ski stays in the garage with the seat off when not being ridden.
    After all of this I'll ususally go back sometime during the week and either do a full wax or some quick spray detailer all over everything and wipe everything down real good.

I see to many people goop layer after layer after layer of crc, fluid film and WD on their motors without rinsing. I've even seen some locals spray it right over salt AFTER riding...yuk!

+1
    i ride the river down to the ocean, then back on the river hour ride back 30 miles, so i usually f around to get some fresh water in the ski, but their was one time where i lifted the seat and their was dried up salt water on the valve cover which made me paranoid.... i washed the motor thoroughly using as little water on the electrical items and the ski is garage kept, pretty dry in there as well , i leave the seat off and hood open as well. thanks for the tips.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information