Help with Getting my Piston & Cylinder Back In....

Ok so I'm new to this... But What i've been searching the forums and have the cylinder upsaide down so I can put the piston inside then attach it to the rod. This way seems much easier. So I have the first ring inside the cylinder up to the second ring and I'm having a "B" of a time trying to get this one in.

Any tips and tricks?

I also wanted to make sure that I have to have the rings 180 degrees from each other... open end that is.

Hope to have this up and running for the 4th! Wish me luck!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The pistons have tiny locating pins in the ring grooves. You must allign the ring gaps with the pins.

+1
    Lucky you having the piston and jug in your hand,, I just did it on my slt with the motor in the ski! yikes huh? lol

I oiled the bore real good, then aligned the rings where the locating pins are, you can feel it click when you find them, the rings will not go in bore without squishing them tight to the piston when the pins are aligned.. i did it blindly sitting on top of the ski, but i knew i had the pins located correctly, the lowered the jug to the piston(some put little sticks under the piston to keep it steady, i didnt, i just rambo'ed it.lol and squished the first ring on and the n worked the second one on and it worked..!!!!! amazing.... i thought it would take hours,, but i did all three blindly in 20 mins. not bad for a rookie!

i was utterly amazed I got them all one without breaking a ring.. i guess patience and a careful hand helped.. oh yeah,, lots of 2-stroke oil to help glide things on.. double check where the rings are in relation to the locating pin is.. thats the biggest deal.. when ya try squeezing them, if you dont have the pins in line, they will not go on. period.. or else youll break a ring.. dont push hard, just be easy with it and all of a sudden the jug will fall on. it will put a smile on your face when it goes!.

try a stainless clamp or a piece of a 2-litre bottle cut up as a wrap to hold the rings in.. kinda a pita. i just did it by feel. up to you.. I guess the mechanics way would be a ring compressor.. but i dont have one to use.. and not paying crazy money for 1 tool for a 1 time use..

Don't cut your fingernails the day before!. youll never get them on.lol

got it done last night! The stainless steel clamp worked wonders... 1.79 trick works great! Put all new gaskets on, torqued all down and put everything back together last night.... 12:30 am I took a shower so keep your fingers crossed, should be able to do compression tonight and hopefully start up and see if I'm ready to go for the fourth... Thanks for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by PERCMAN25 View Post
    got it done last night! The stainless steel clamp worked wonders... 1.79 trick works great! Put all new gaskets on, torqued all down and put everything back together last night.... 12:30 am I took a shower so keep your fingers crossed, should be able to do compression tonight and hopefully start up and see if I'm ready to go for the fourth... Thanks for all the help!
    Remember your compression numbers are going to be low, until break in & getting rings to seat.

oh good to know... I won't freak out then... Thanks

Should I add some oil to the gas for the break-in? Want to make sure i don't do any damage...

Thanks

Thread Information