Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris Virage Loses Power

I have a 2001 Polaris Virage that I purchased used. We put in a new stator and CDI box (computer?). We put the bike in the water last week and it took some time to get it to run. It started right up but when you gave it throttle, it bogged down and stalled out. After about 10 minutes, it ran quite well. After boating, we started it to take it back in and when you gave it full throttle, it bogged down (didnít stall) then took off, then bogged down, then took off. It was like I was giving it full throttle then releasing it all the way over and over again.

We took the bike out of the water and noticed some oil in the bottom hull. The next day after sitting, a good amount of oil was in the hull. We took the tank out, checked for leaks, checked the hoses, etc and put it back together. The oil sensor unit was rather loose but after that, a full tank of oil and no leak.

We put the bike in this past weekend and same issue, but worse. When giving it throttle, it would bog down and stall. Couldnít get it to run at all.

After checking the engine compartment while idling, we noticed a pin hole in the water jacket. We have fixed that but didnít test again. Could that be the issue or are we missing something completely? Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Until you get the problem fixed, do NOT ride it in the water, other than for short tests.

Is this a fuel injected or carburetor engine?

Two or three cylinder?

It is a carb engine, two cylinder. You stress the do not ride in water part. Is there a way to start it on land without messing up the engine? We were afraid to start it for more than 5 seconds on land.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bab042 View Post
    It is a carb engine, two cylinder. You stress the do not ride in water part. Is there a way to start it on land without messing up the engine? We were afraid to start it for more than 5 seconds on land.
    You can run it for maybe 20 seconds without cooling water at a time. With a garden hose connection, max run time is two minutes.

Remove the jet pump and drive shaft, and you can run it on the garden hose for much longer, provided all three cylinders are getting proper cooling.

Strap it to the trailer front and rear, and back it down the launch ramp until the jet pump is fully submerged and you can run it as long as you like.

The reason for not riding it is that these high output 2-stroke engines can be badly damaged by lean fuel delivery. The pistons can get so hot they melt holes right through.

My guess is that you need to remove and rebuild the carburetors, and replace all the fuel hoses.

More info here;
    I just bought a Polaris PWC - what should I do?

Polaris Domestic (red) engine

I will check out the carb and fuel lines and see if that makes a differnece. I am wondering if I should change the plugs as well. Could the bogging down be from a lean mixture? would that prevent it was getting power right off the get go? Thanks for all of your help as well. I read several posts which you have commented on.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bab042 View Post
    I will check out the carb and fuel lines and see if that makes a differnece. I am wondering if I should change the plugs as well. Could the bogging down be from a lean mixture? would that prevent it was getting power right off the get go? Thanks for all of your help as well. I read several posts which you have commented on.
    Fresh spark plugs of the correct part number are always a good thing

Well I took off the carb cover and filter and cleaned it out with carb cleaner. When starting it on land, the bike seemed to sound and run much much better. We backed it down the ramp (left it on the trailer as you mentioned) and started it up again. Still same thing, it bogged down when giving it more throttle. We sprayed the cleaner in the carb and it seemed to work for a short while, then it would just bog down again. The next step is to take the carb completely off and see if it is gummed up. Upon visual inspection while still on the bike, it looks extremely clean. Was the bike just running well only while burning off the cleaner?

+1
    There is no substitute for removing the carburetors and cleaning them properly.

While you have them apart, check everything. Use a genuine rebuild kit, not aftermarket.

Have the original gray Tempo fuel hoses been replaced?
    If not, that needs to be done.

Look here ==> Polaris Domestic (red) engine

So we took the carb apart and cleaned it. The fuel filter was quite dirty. The previous owners must have ran it in salt water because it seemed like there was a fair amount of sand around the filter. Also, the throttle position switch was sticking. Once at full throttle, it was staying and not springing back after releasing the throttle. Those two issues are corrected. However, I did notice that there was not a high idle screw present. I looked at the service manual and could not find an image of one. I looked online for replacement parts and could not find one. Should there be a high idle screw present? I am assumming there should be. If so, is it the same as the low speed? I can order one of those online but I didnt want to get the wrong thing. If you could let me know, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again for all the help.

+1
    No, That carb does not use a "High speed mixture screw"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information