2001 Polaris Genesis starter solenoid replacement

Do I need to pull the flywheel to replace the solenoid? I bought a new starter and solenoid. I could hear the starter spinning but the solenoid was not engaging the motor. I am going to replace them both but cannot get the solenoid past the flywheel. If I pull the flywheel will any springs or stuff come flying out? How do I get the flywheel back on and does it have to go back on a specific way for timing purposes?

thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

I think you are talking about the Bendix gear assembly, not the solenoid. The solenoid is an electric relay mounted near the battery.

The starter motor can be changed without removing the flywheel cover or the flywheel. The starter motor installs from the rear of the flywheel housing. Two bolts hold it to the side of the engine. Remove them, and wiggle the starter motor rearwards.

Replace the starter motor first. If that fixes the problem, then you can leave the flywheel alone.

The flywheel does need to be removed to get at the Bendix. You will need a heavy duty flywheel puller. You can find more info on how to remove the flywheel, and re-install it, by searching and reading these forums.

Is this a fuel injected or carburetor engine?

k447 thanks for the quick response. I was just going to say it was the bendix drive not a solenoid. And yes the bendix has some teeth that are ground off in one spot. I saw that the teeth on the starter were worn so for 55 bucks I got one too. Do I just pull the flywheel with a puller and then "tap" it back on after I install my new bendix?

This motor is carburetors

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KC Detective View Post
    ...Do I just pull the flywheel with a puller and then "tap" it back on after I install my new bendix?
    Basically, yes. It is important the the woodruff key be in position, and use red loctitie on the shaft taper.

Removing the flywheel can be a battle. Some are straightforward, others require a huge amount of torque on the puller, and sometimes heat and time before they release.

Keep the nut threaded on the end of the flywheel, as the release can be rather violent.

Missing teeth on benidix and starter assembly

I have the same problem with my 2001 Polaris Genesis. Just got the parts in (Bendix Assy and new starter). I was wondering if there might be anything else that I should look for which may have caused these teeth to be ground off from the starter gears and bendix before reinstalling or if this is just normal wear and tear. Also while I have this broken down to this point if there is anything else that might be inexpensive to replace as a precautionary measure?

Im brand new to the PWC world and just purchased my genesis which had been setting in a guys garage for a few years. Compression is really good but I haven't heard her run yet because of the issue described above....Fingers crossed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starter.JPG 
Views:	328 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	223883  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonsandiego View Post
    I have the same problem with my 2001 Polaris Genesis. Just got the parts in (Bendix Assy and new starter).

I was wondering if there might be anything else that I should look for which may have caused these teeth to be ground off from the starter gears and Bendix before reinstalling or if this is just normal wear and tear.

Also while I have this broken down to this point if there is anything else that might be inexpensive to replace as a precautionary measure...
    Is this a fuel injected engine?

If yes be sure to inspect the flywheel magnets for damage, looseness or shifted out of position.

Also make sure the bushing, washer and spring are all in place for the Bendix shaft where it rides in the flywheel front housing.

Have you confirmed that the engine turns over easily by hand (with all spark plugs out)?

Now would be a good time to pull the jet pump and check those bearings and seals. Not hard to do once you know how. Links below show you how.

Engine turns over by hand easily

Thanks for the quick response. She has a Carb'd engine and with all spark plugs out the engine turns over very easily with a wrench using very light pressure (I assume that is what you mean "by hand"). Thanks for the advice on checking jet pump bearings and seals at this point before putting everything back together...I will definitely take that advice and run with it. I am really new to PWC's and engines in general but I found a good mechanic to help me with the intermediate/advanced stuff but I am trying to do as much as possible on my own to save some dough. Thanks again for your help.

So I got a new starter and bendix assy. What all needs grease before reinstalling? Does the spring in the bendix assy get grease? And is multipurpose marine grease good enough for the job once I know what to grease...? The manual isn't much help. Thanks in advance. Great site by the way!

Thread Information