Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I didn't want to put on a SHO, so im just a HO! ghostrider757's Avatar

Exclamation The ever elusive 2009+ FX HO Modification thread!

For those of us who made the decision to purchase a 2009+ FX HO rather than a supercharged SHO/FZR/FZS, it seems we have become the red headed step children of high performance! Yes, the HO was never intended to be an all out performance ski, and that is clearly understood.

However, for those that enjoy the fuel economy, and don't want to throw our significant others off at 80mph, there are some of us like myself that do want to achieve some performance out of it. Herein lies the problem. MODS! No, not moderators, not models, MODIFICATIONS!

To use myself as an example...firstly, I am not a mechanic, although I am mechanically inclined. I know my limits as to how far I can go before needing professional assistance. Im going to estimate that this ski (2009 FX HO) will do 63mph bone stock. Respectable for a non SC couch? yes. So, knowing I intentionally bought a non SC model, and have always had modified vehicles, I set a personal goal of making this ski reach 70MPH. Is this realistic? I hope and think so. Will it leave the sea-dont's and other high performance skis in my worthless rear view mirrors? Absolutely not! That is not my goal. I just want a little umph to keep up with the stock SC skis, nothing more.

With that being said, I hope this thread will benefit all of the NON SC Yamaha folks with the 1812CC motor, and maybe bring to light some untapped power, modification ideas, and our own little space in the 4 stroke forum. We are few, but we are here too

Please understand this is not a thread to bash SC vs. non SC applications, but to help those who share the same passion. For those with the 2009+ HO, feel free to step in, tell us what you've dont to your ski, post pictures....lets hear from you!

My current performance mods are:
    Riva FF Exhaust
    Custom Air filter Intake (stock air box removed completely)
    Riva Intake Grate
    PCV Catch can w/ breather
    Stock impeller re pitched 1 degree due to air intake hitting the rev limiter

Top speed GPS 65.1 3/4 tank of fuel on glass
    Future upgrade planned is Jims plate. Once installed I will fill the holes etc. Other than that, I do not know of any performance mods that will help this ski do a solid 70mph. I know the plate may yeild 2-4mph but it still will not get me at my goal. I dont think I am asking alot out of this ski, am I?

Please feel free to throw ideas out there, there just isnt any performance mods on the market from what I can tell. There has to be something we can do and the knowledge is here, please speak up, any help is greatly appreciated!

Cliffs notes:
    2009+ FX HO owners = Red headed step children
    Want some performance increase on our mobile bouys
    Cant find any modifications available
    Want your help!

+1
    I'm hearing ya brother!!!
    Just waiting on Riva (or Jerry) to let us know as soon as the promised Riva gear comes out.

SHO has been a step child since the beginning of 2009. The only reason it gets parts is because of the FZ common parts. When the FZ gets replaced I guess we are out of luck.
    The newer HO's could be an instant turbo project IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by fussy1 View Post
    I'm hearing ya brother!!!
    Just waiting on Riva (or Jerry) to let us know as soon as the promised Riva gear comes out.
    What did you hear they are releasing?

Very interesting thread, shows how much I know, didn't even realize Yamaha offered the 1800CC motor in a non-SC configuration. Do you know if the NA 1800cc motor has forged or cast pistons? I'll have to look up the specs on this NA version motor...

There are only a few ways to increase HP on NA motors without internal engine modifications. The hull/handling mods, like Jim's plate are going to be your best bang for the buck ways to increase your top speed.

Possibly something like the following?
    1) High Performance camshaft(s).
    2) More RPM's Does R&D offer a reflash with a higher rev limit?
    3) different pump/impeller combination, looks like they use a different pump than the SHO
    4) Increase compression. Take a layer or two out of the headgasket?

Just throwing out some ideas off the top of my head...

Just to clear up any misconceptions...I was bored so I just performed weight reduction on my ski. So yes, it is true....the N/A 1.8L FX HO has the ribbon too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00010-20100628-1928.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	207.9 KB 
ID:	203140

+1

Thumbs up Riva vipec ecu

Hello everyone,

Yes you will be able to go well above 70 MPH. You can use a RIVA VIPEC ECU and safely get those RPMS up to around 8,500 RPMS and you will see 70 for sure Dave will have ECU maps for the NA motors.

Other than that as I have mention before this ski is a perfect candidate for some RODS, PISTONS, INTAKE MANIFOLD INTER COOLER COMBO and an HKS GT PRO TURBO for the perfect sleeper package

Today alone you can have these parts fitted,

_ RIVA through hull exhaust.
    _ RIVA water box.
    _ RIVA fuel pressure regulator, (you will need more fuel with the RIVA water box).
    _ RIVA intake grate.
    _ RIVA K&N air filter, (they will sell you the filter element from the sho power filter kit).
    _ R&D ride plate.

This configuration will get you close... Take care, Julio...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider757 View Post
    What did you hear they are releasing?
    They just said they have a bag of goodies on the way for this ski.

Quote Originally Posted by fussy1 View Post
    They just said they have a bag of goodies on the way for this ski.
    Im heading down to South Florida in about a month and a half, I may even drag my ski with me and drop it off at Riva and let them have their way with it, although there probably isnt much they can do. They told me last year they were coming out with mods and they have yet to see the light of day.

I should know in about 3 weeks when I will be ordering a plate from Jim, hell...I may even stop in Tampa and just have him machine my stock one.

I am intrigued about the water box, but unsure what kind of gain to expect on a N/A ski. So close...yet so far away

Vipec ecu and find a supercharger and I bet you could make this thing fly...I wouldn't run high boost because of the higher compression but I bet w/ the stock wheel pushing like 5-7lbs of boost this thing would be a monster.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information