+1

94 SLT 750... basket-case reborn... what should I expect now (it's my first ski)?

Hi Gang,
    I'm happy to report my 94 SLT 750 is running! It came in pieces... literally a basket case (plastic tub doesn't have the same ring to it)... that I bought it to help fix the first SLT 750 I bought a few days earlier. But after digging into that first ski and finding all the easy to spot-if-you-know-to-look-for-them issues I missed when I excitedly bought it, I realized this basket case ski was the better one... so back from the dead it came.

I want to thank all the folks here for helping me with my questions and praise the knowledge locked into all the past posts and replies here on GH. Search is your friend.

So my ski was totally disassembled and went through with a fine tooth comb. Bad cylinder/piston replaced with good one + new rings. Old ground-shorted-and-melted stator replaced with a good one. Carbs cleaned and rebuilt with new mikuni kits + popoffs checked. Engine pressure tested... no leaks. Replaced all fuel lines, filters, cleaned/rinsed gas tank, cleaned fuel selector. New 3-outlet fuel pump. Autocock removed. New battery. New plugs + plug wires trimmed. Driveshaft inspected, cleaned lubed. Jetpump disassembled, nicks smoothed off impellor/stator vanes, bearings checked. New O-rings and gaskets for all needed/opened areas. Basically, everything you guys say to do to an old ski before hitting the water. (not that I could hit the water anyways... since the ski came in pieces )

So now that it runs... what should I be expecting from it? Having never had one before... I don't know what I don't know...

>what will be the likely top speed (as indicated by the MFD... single rider)?

>what should RPM read at WOT?

>what should the in-water idle be set at?

>what should the voltage read at idle? at WOT?

>does the MFD (I got the small round one) ever shut off? Mine displays data... then eventually just shows time... but does it ever go off?

>how do you keep the engine compartment from getting all damp with moisture condensing everywhere when the ski sits outside? (thankfully I had sprayed everything liberally with WD-40 before taking it out on the lake)

>starting from cold... are these two-strokes cold blooded? Harder to start cold? Need a lot of choke? Need time to warm-up before romping?

Thanks gang!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I will answer some of your questions, others I epxect will cover the rest.

Idle RPM is set in the water at 1200-1300RPM

Battery voltage at idle should be over 13.5 volts. At higher RPM, it should be right around 14.x volts. Measure the voltage at idle with a multi-meter, until you can confirm the accuracy of the MFD voltage reading.

The MFD will always show the time.
    More info here ==> Multi-Function Display (MFD)

When the machine is being stored, lift the seat up a 1/2 inch to allow air to circulate. You can remove the front bucket and leave the hood ajar to improve air flow.

WD-40 is not the best product for spraying inside the engine compartment. Over time it can harden rubber and crack plastics. I use Fluid Film, others use CRC something. Look for protective products that do not use solvents or oils.

When cold, it can take a few cranks before it lights up. It should NOT require leaning on the starter for a long time to get it to light up.

These machines like a really strong battery. I recommend a factory sealed AGM type, such as the Odyssey PC625 or Deka ETX16LM

+1
    >what will be the likely top speed (as indicated by the MFD... single rider)? 48-50 mph on the MFD.

>what should RPM read at WOT? 6250-6300 tops.

>what should the in-water idle be set at? 1250

>what should the voltage read at idle? at WOT? no idea

>does the MFD (I got the small round one) ever shut off? yes it goes to sleep after 15 mins. then if your hit the start or hit the mode button the MFD it wakes up. Mine displays data... then eventually just shows time... but does it ever go off?

>how do you keep the engine compartment from getting all damp with moisture condensing everywhere when the ski sits outside? (thankfully I had sprayed everything liberally with WD-40 before taking it out on the lake) its common for it to get wet in there. Do what K-447 told ya

>starting from cold... are these two-strokes cold blooded? no Harder to start cold? no Need a lot of choke? a few times.Need time to warm-up before romping? absolutely. when you warm up the heads and jugs, the pistons need time to warm up also before goin WOT. I give mine at least 8 minites of running at idle.. temps on jugs should be around 143 degrees. maybe up to 150 tops. if any higher, you have cooling issues.

+1
    Thanks guys for answering my beginner questions!

When I set my carb high/low mixture screws I went a smidge more turns out than factory settings. I wanted to be on the safer side of rich.
    I'm also running ~50:1 premix in my first tank in addition to regular oil injection.

Would either of these conditions cause me to lose a little on the top end? I only remember seeing 6k rpms at a top speed of around 41 (both MFD indicated)... when I was checking... I probably should check the peak RPM and peak mph feature on the MFD. Engine sounds good... no hesitations, bogging, pinging, misses, etc. Plugs look good, all even, if slightly oily.

Thread Information