Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to make a ZXI better on rough water?

I have a ZXI 750 and I really love riding it, it's really responsive and even though its not fast it is fun to ride, but I have problems when it gets rough on Lake of the Ozarks. The faster I try to go the slower I end up going, it just loses water out of the pump a lot.

Whats the first step to improve this?

I thought about a new intake grate but will it make a noticeable difference?

Yes an intake grate will make a HUGE difference that you will notice and feel right off the bat. It will help keep the ski hooked up better and longer. Then a good prop will help as well with ether a 12/18 or 13/19 pitch depending on how rough or calm of waters your ride. After that a nice ride plate as it will keep it in a straight line and keep the back end from tail whipping when you laid in chop.

Which brand intake grate will work the best?

Most generally I'll be riding in 6" to 1' chop or more from large boat wakes. Very VERY rarely any smooth water at all.

To say which is the best is only by opinion. So with that said I can tell you from experience I run the R&D aquavein intake grate and I am very very please with it. I noticed a night and day improvement in how it kept the ski hooked up to the water which in turn helped the speed. Yes, you will hear they will scrub speed on top end, but that is only if you are riding clam glass water but lets be honest. When you are having to ride 10+ mph slower in bigger chop and wake where with it you could go a little faster because you are able to hook up then the top speed isn't an issues since you are able to ride faster with it then without it since you will be handling better.

you end up going slower in rouch chop cuz the ski is literaly beatin the sh*t outta you so you have no choice but to slow down lol. this has been covered in another recent thread and the guy is looking for similar performance outta his ski. 75% of people on here are gonna tell what i will now intake grate ride plate and sponsons. the worx intakes work well and dont scrub off to much speed but still can lose hook up in very rouch chop like we have in jersey. for a plate id say the r&d its the most common maybe even ocean pro plate but they r tuff to come by. sponsons are a must regardless of what anyone says if they tell you different they prob have never ridin a zxi with them to see the difference to know. any will do but i think works is the only company you can get them easily. idk how you feel as far as comfort but even changing your bars out for aftermarket bars that are a tad wider you give you a more stable feeling in rough chop.

Most of my problem is cavitation. In the rough chop I probably can't even break 20 mph, every wake and wave I hit the ski just cavitates. On smooth water I have no problems with cavitation and can come out of the hole with 3/4 throttle and have no problems, in the rough water I just have absolutely no acceleration or top speed at all, I have to keep it down below 1/2 throttle.

+1
    I have a Solas intake grate on mine and Beach House Sponsons...hooks up really well in chop...A Skat Trak 13/18 Swirl prop is recomended for that motor size and will also make a big difference....

I have a 750SS (I think its VERY similar to your ZXi) that I have tried a couple of different set ups on. First I had a stock grate and a Jet Dynamics plate. It was a pretty good set up and just the plate helped some in the rough water. Then I got an R&D plate and grate combo but I just put the grate on and left the JD plate. I lost a lot of top end but the ski was glued to the water. This week I finally got around to putting the R&D plate on so I had both the plate and grate from them and I took it out today. I was very impressed to say the least. It feels like the top end is back, the ski is very stable in the water and it sticks quite well. I have some cavitation when I first come out of the hole since I swapped the grate. I'm going to try a stainless impeller as soon as I can find a deal on one, I missed one on ebay yesterday. I think that will solve my cavitation problem.

John

+1
    The SS is a totally different hull than the ZXI, Different pump too

I stand corrected then. I think any of the loader type grates will be a large improvement over stock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information