Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1200r Project (Stage 1: Reliability)

About 2 months ago I picked up a bone stock, one owner, 2000 gp1200r with 88hrs on it. I've ridden it a good bit and had a blast! Now I'm bitten by the bug and am starting to make some changes.

Before I do anything else, I've got to get the basic reliability mods taken care of. On the agenda for right now is: switch to premix, d-plate, and waveeater clips and couplers.

Starting with a clean slate, untouched minus the already removed heat shield, but I doubt that will be going back on

Been following cajundude's writeup and have moved along smoothly so far (cajundude's writeups are pretty awesome and very helpful!) Also downloaded a factory service manual, all the exploded diagrams and torque specs are a must.

Pulled the battery box and unhooked all electrical running to the CDI so I could get that out of the way for easier access to the stinger-waterbox connection

And not too long later.....The stinger is out. Wasn't too bad for my first time, I'm sure I'll get quicker as I'm gonna have to pull it out anytime I want to get to the carbs.

Next I went ahead and removed the exhaust chamber for easier access to the oil pump. I know it can be done without removing the exhaust chamber but I felt this made everything much easier. Also I wanted to learn a little more, I'm not new to all things mechanical, but this is my first ski

Holy crap there's some space in there!

Oil Pump and Lines removed

Next I installed the block off plate with new hardware and a new gasket. Also capped off the oil tank and the oil line ports on all 3 of the carbs with zipties to secure the hose barb caps.

ZipTied up the floats on the oil level sender.

With all that taken car of I moved on to the waveeater clips and couplers.
    Clips came first. Followed the directions on the waveeater website.

Next came the couplers.
    Old versus New

New couplers installed.

Finally I pulled apart the stinger to pull the catalytic converter out. I could hear something moving around in the stinger when i initially pulled it out........any guesses as to what that could be????

This is how it came out, the center section of the catalytic converter had completely separated from the outer ring section. Glad i pulled it apart and got the d-plate....
    Im sure some pieces of the cat have gone down into the waterbox, is this any cause for concern? I may pull the waterbox and try to see if anything is still in there or if it has all been blown out.

Installed the d-plate chip.

D-plate ready to go in.

Put the stinger back together and hopefully getting it all back together tomorrow or the next day and then back on the water this weekend, all your questions/comments are welcome!
    Last edited by MikeTrin; 11-09-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: changed thread prefix

Try not to smile on a Jetski... GPRFrank's Avatar
    +1

Great Start!

Congrats on a great start! Welcome to the expensive but great world of "I wanna go fast". The reliability basics you have started are defiantly a good choice. As for Modding a lot of seasoned tunners on here will tell you one mod at a time. The only suggestions I would like to make is. Maybe since the stinger is out already. Remove carbs for a cleaning! These 2 strokes are very well known for carb problems. As well as having them out maybe install a primer setup and remove choke plates. Then when re installing them add flame arestors. Ski runs much cooler and breathes better. But remember if your going to do F/A the carb jetting will need to be changed. And as you stated above that you will be in and out of there tunning carbs you should really do T handles and remove tamper caps. With carbs done and ski back together move under the ski. My second suggestion would be a pump seal kit. Greatly reduces cavitation and better hook up. Then while down their try a solas 13/90 prop. I loved it and I'm sure you would as well. This setup will be a lot of fun and have a nicer whole shot. Ride this for a while then try a jet works mod. Well that's just my opinions. Hope they help! Good luck on the build and don't ever hesitate to send a PM with any ?'S you may have. Also Hallpass's first GP1200R build thread is another way to get some idea's. He did that at the age of 13. If you are nervous about carbs I would recommend Osidebill. You will thank me. . Now go have fun....

Try not to smile on a Jetski... GPRFrank's Avatar
    +1

Congrats

Forgot! Reasons for the reply were originally to tell you that it can cause concerns if the cat piece went down in water box. And to add to my last thread. When swapping out props if you choose to do that. Plug up your yamaha visibility spout. Your friends will thank me for that one....Don't get discouraged if you don't receive replys asap. This forum has a lot of guys riding since it summer! But they all will help a member out when they are on hear. Welcome to the Forum!

Nice to see that im not alone! I have been doing those same exact things! Don't forget the intake grate and ppk!!! When i went down there to do mine i had a nasty impeller surprise that was burnt all up! So where are ya from?

+1
    Great job with the explanation and great pictures! Keep it up and you will have a sticky on your hands. This is great stuff for some of the people new to PV motor repair.

Why not clean up those powervalves why you're there? They look pretty gummed up.

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback!

GPRFrank--The next step for the motor will be carb rebuild, choke plates removed, primer kit install, and FA's with the proper jetting and T-handles, however, I'm probably going to wait a few weeks before doing that. The carbs are in no immediate need of a cleaning as the ski's been running really well so far. Not saying they couldn't benefit from a good cleaning though, just gonna wait a little bit.

richdash--I'm in Columbia, SC. Do most of my riding on Lake Murray, Lake Wateree, and the Congaree River. Glad to see I'm not the only one getting these reliability mods knocked out!

Smitty--Thanks for the nice remarks!

mi11ertyme26--I'll more than likely pull the covers off the PV's again and try to wipe as much of the gunk out as I can before getting everything back together.

So, slight change of plans. Since I've been thinking about pulling the waterbox to check for and remove any stray cat-con fragments; I think I'm going to go ahead and pull it out and reinforce the pump tunnel while I'm in there. I'm planning to go the DIY route here using fiberglass and epoxy from West Marine. This should polish off my reliability mods minus getting rid of the stock intake grate, but hey, thats both performance and safety oriented.

+1
    I might have missed it but one of the first safety mods is the pump tunnel reinforcement. Do a search on this, many posts discussing how to. Messy but not too difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by USCME View Post

GPRFrank--The next step for the motor will be carb rebuild, choke plates removed, primer kit install, and FA's with the proper jetting and T-handles, however, I'm probably going to wait a few weeks before doing that. The carbs are in no immediate need of a cleaning as the ski's been running really well so far. Not saying they couldn't benefit from a good cleaning though, just gonna wait a little bit.

richdash--I'm in Columbia, SC. Do most of my riding on Lake Murray, Lake Wateree, and the Congaree River. Glad to see I'm not the only one getting these reliability mods knocked out!

mi11ertyme26--I'll more than likely pull the covers off the PV's again and try to wipe as much of the gunk out as I can before getting everything back together.

So, slight change of plans. Since I've been thinking about pulling the waterbox to check for and remove any stray cat-con fragments; I think I'm going to go ahead and pull it out and reinforce the pump tunnel while I'm in there. I'm planning to go the DIY route here using fiberglass and epoxy from West Marine. This should polish off my reliability mods minus getting rid of the stock intake grate, but hey, thats both performance and safety oriented.

smacota1
    I might have missed it but one of the first safety mods is the pump tunnel reinforcement. Do a search on this, many posts discussing how to. Messy but not too difficult.

Originally Posted by USCME

smacota1- You did in fact miss it. If you'll reread my post that you quoted, you'll see that I plan to reinforce the pump tunnel before getting everything back together. I have read multiple writeups concerning the DIY method for the reinforcement. And this is the route that I plan to take.

For anyone that this may benefit, here is a thread that I found particularly useful when looking for information regarding this mod,
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-reinforcement.

and here is a pdf containing very detailed instructions and pictures of the steps involved in reinforcing the pump tunnel
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/atta...4&d=1165804132
    Big thanks to steach for the helpful pdf

I'll more than likely be using carbon fiber and the technique layed out in steach's pdf file. While I've got the pump shoe out I might as well seal that up too.

A Few Notes

So I've been out of town for the week and won't be back until Sunday. Got a little free time here so I thought I'd add a couple helpful notes.

When swapping to premix, not absolutely everything you need comes in most of the oil pump blockoff kits. I ordered the riva blockoff kit which came with the pump blockoff plate, a new gasket and two bolts to secure the plate with wave lock washers. This kit did not come with the barb caps to seal off the oil ports to the carbs and did not come with anything to cap the oil tank either. I have also seen other kits that come with these caps but do not include a new gasket for the blockoff plate.

Everything you need is in the following pic with the exception of something to cap off the oil tank and an assortment of zipties to secure the oil port caps and tie up the oil level sender floats.

When it came to capping the oil tank I had to improvise a little. I cut roughly a 1.5in length of oil line that originally came from the oil tank. Then I found some 1/4in bar stock I had laying around in the garage and cut a short length of this to plug the line and secure with a hose clamp. I then put this back on the oil tank outlet, problem solved.

Also, I'm sure a lot of people do this and some are just good enough to remember where everything goes, but it always makes assembly worlds easier when you bag and tag all your hardware so there are no questions as to what goes where.

Also, for anyone new to ski's if you don't already have em, I'd definitely buy an assortment of zipties and an assorment of hose clamps to keep on hand at the garage and for a day of riding.

Here is a link to cajundude's website. For everyone new to gpr's this site is awesome! Its got an owners manual, service manual, and some very detailed writeups with great pics.
    http://www.cajundude.com/jetskihome.htm

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information