Need Help - MSX110 Intake Manifold Removal

Hello All,

I'm in the process of trying to replace the turbo on my MSX110 and I'm stuck trying to get the intake manifold removed. I removed one of the three Upper to Lower bracket fastners but the other two elude me on how to remove them. The two I'm speaking of are right along the hull. There is a mixture of paint and rust in the hex cap head that is difficult to remove in order to get the hex head tool in. I'm guessing the allen key size is 5mm?? Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to remove these??

Thanks,

Ryan

+1
    Hi Ryan,

Like everything about working on the Weber engines MSX time and patience = great reward!
    You can lift the engine a little to gain more access (secure the engine so as not to crush your fingers) Use a long series Allen key and cut to length and a small diameter pipe over the short end of the tool for leverage. Make sure you clean out the head well if you round out the fastener it will make the job very hard.

Kosh,

Thanks for the tip. Are you saying I can move the engine without unbolting it from the mounts? I guess the rubber isolators must have enough play to allow the engine to move. I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

Ryan

+1
    Hi Ryan,

You will need to undo the engine mounts, this is easy with a long extension, you will need to use a wobbly to get at the front right as it is not a direct line of site,these need to be undone anyway if you are removing the exhaust manifold. Have you a manual?

Cheers

Yes sir, I got the manual. So I finally got the intake manifold and heat exchanger off. I had to drill out the two fastners that attached the I.M. to the lower bracket. Now today my challenge it to get the lower bracket taken off of the engine block. The one fastner is easily accessible however the other is not, go figure!!

Thread Information