Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'94 Waveraider overheating

Had this problem since last season but didn't go out that much and never found a solution.
    It runs great but after using around 1/4 tank the overheat light comes on and it goes into limp mode.
    I tested the sensor and it appears to work correctly. A decent stream comes out the pisser and it appears to use oil at a normal rate.

I've got 2 theories: either the oil pump is on it's way out and causing the temp to creep up slowly and after being out for 1/4tank of gas it gets hot enough to trip the sensor.
    Or, maybe the cooling system is partially blocked and it's not getting quite enough water to keep at operating temp.

Any ideas or input?

Thanks

+1
    When it "overheats", have you actually put your hand on the engine itself to feel if it really is hot? One of those infrared thermometers would be good to check the actual temperature.

I think the first thing you need to do is determine if it really is overheating.

might want to check your fuel tank vents and your fuel lines that go into the tank. The fuel lines could be cracked and when it gets to that level sucking a little air causing a lean condition.
    Kinda the same scenerio with the vents if it is drawing a vacuum on the tank when the fuel level drops it could be leaning out the motor.
    Have you checked the plug color that may give you an indication if it`s running lean or not.

My first 94 Raider did this. Sensor would come on and you have to idle it for about 2-5 min, then it came back to life. I believe I did 2 things: Blew out the pisser with an air hose. This shot disgusting crap all over my house and it smelled bad. Also replaced the sensor. It never overheated again. It was a cheap fix.

I'll check the fuel lines.
    I tested the sensor in a pot of hot water and it trips around 155deg F. I have felt the engine while it's in limp mode and it really doesn't feel that hot. I can keep my hand on the head and on the side of the cylinder for about 5-10 seconds.

Next time it happens I'll unplug the senor(I installed a connector) and run a couple more minutes and see if it feels any hotter.

the fuel lines inside the tank are metal not rubber and there are no cracks. There are no vent lines inside the tank.

Is it possible for the oil pump to be partially failed, at idle oil oozes into the carbs but is it possible that it's not getting quite enough so after an hour or so of riding it finally starts to overheat? I will also double check the cooling lines, although it does seem like a decent amount is coming out the pisser.

any other input?
    Switched to premix and still had the problem. This time however it happened a lot sooner, so I don't think it has anything to do w the fuel pickup or oil pump. Now I think I might have a leak somewhere which is causing it to run lean. I'll just keep checking but does anyone have any other ideas?

ok just throwing this out there..... i am new to the pwc so i may be completly off base/wrong.

do these motors have thermostats in the cooling system?

the reason i ask is that i had a overheating problem with my merc motor in my boat. it came about all of a sudden and got worse the more i ran it, all the while the pee stream was good and strong. after tearing apart the cooling system i found debris had collected at the t-stat patially blocking off the opening, which isnt very big to begin with. so although i had good pressure....ie good pee stream ... there wasnt enough volume.

again just throwing it out there.

figured it out, there is a gasket between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe. There are cooling passages in there aswell. I must have taken the exhaust apart a couple years ago and instead of buying a new gasket I simply used gasket maker(comes in a tube).

Well after looking at the cooling diagrams and parts diagrams I realized the gasket is supposed to block those cooling passages meaning water comes in the front of the manifold, flows through the head/cylinders and then flows through the exhaust. Since I uses gasket maker and not a factory gasket water flowed straight through the manifold and almost nothing was circulating through the head. Anyway got the gasket replaced and it should be good to go now.

+1
    Its good to hear that you've figured out your problem. Thanks for posting back and Happy Fourth of July!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information