Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

97 GSX 787 Break-in

Hey guys I am finishing up reinstalling a 787 back in my wifes GSX tonight and plan on starting to break it in. Any recomendations as to carb settings fuel mixture (oil pump is currently blocked off pump will be reinstalled after break-in)

All fuel lines have been replaced and fittings were cleaned never really found out how the last one died... Happend 5 yrs ago and we bought the new motor from SBT and it would not run right so we replaced the carbs and it still did not run right so I started playing with the new carbs and leaned it out melting the rear cylender then got a replacment at then end of season but never got around to install since we started a family..

So at this point I just have to double and tripple check anything that could have been the original cause.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfjon View Post

new motor from SBT
    this is what is wrong with your motor..chances are you bought a re manufactured engine from SBT which are in my, and most others opinions, absolute junk.

WOW airborn your just alot of help... 5yrs ago when I bought it a whole lot of people recomended them either way its still brand new and I have it so thats what I plan on running wether or not its good.... that being said does anybody else have any real comments on a good way to break in a new motor..

been around the block Stagesrt4's Avatar
    hes just messing with ya.....

Sorry then I am a little to new to this forum to realize that Should have put an LOL or something else and I would have known...

Anyhow I got the motor in last night and most of the hoses attached (kind of sucks trying to remember what goes were since I pulled it out 5yrs ago..) Tonight I am hoping to check the setting on the carbs since I know I adjusted them last time right before it blew then get them installed with the exhaust. then doing a final check and priming the oil pump if I can find the shaft for the pump if not I might just leave it premix for now. Hopefully I will fire this thing up tomorrow night still have to pick up some new oil.

been around the block Stagesrt4's Avatar
    if you think your missing something shot me a pm

i can go into my garage and look or take a pic for you....i have 3 XPs in the garage to cheat from

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    you might see some plug fouling with the SBT engine, for some reason they cake the sh!t out of them while they join the cases, this silicone will make its way up through the ports, up the combustion chamber and into your plug electrode.
    But most of it will go through the exhaust.

Has anyone broken in a 787 out of the water? reason I ask is it 40 minutes to the lake and $20 to put in.. I would rather try to break it in and tune it a little in the driveway on the hose before going to the lake and doing a final tuning/breaking-in.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    this is where I believe SBT got some dumb $^#%# first of all, if you run the ski for more than 5 minutes you WILL burn up your carbon seal, you WILL overheat the pump bearings, and last but not least there is no load on the engine, WTF SBT are you serious? I have a bearing seal carrier and I can run the ski on the hose a bit longer but it still gets hot. You can maybe remove the pump and the shaft and try to run it like that, but if it was me, No, just cause there is no load on the engine, and the parts wont be seated right.

SBT is in the business to sell engines, not to help customers make their engines last 20 years, the longer engines last the less money SBT makes.

common supply and demand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information