+1

2001 Yammy XLT Problems

My buddy has a 2001 XLT. I believe he has 2 problems. First he said that it was cavitating out of the hole bad which leads me to believe it was the impeller. What all areas should he look at down there? Impeller, housing, liner? Second, his ski won't turn over. He said the battery was tested and is fully charged. He replaced the spark plugs. He said it won't turn over at all. Is that the starter or is there other areas to look at? Thanks in advance.

Need to seal the pump to cause the cavitation problem. Here's a great thread. Used this to seal one of my pumps. Worked great. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ump+seal+resin

On the non-start issue, what appears on the gauge when you press the start button? Assume you checked the fuse on the electrical box?

Yea when it doesnt start what does it do ? hum ? Click ? nothing ?

+1
    He said it makes a humming noise

battery... get a new one...

+1
    Below is what my friend told me about his ski.

Okay here is the deal if you want you can post this in the thread.

The ski I am having problems with is a 2001 Yamaha 800 XL. I had it in the water over Memorial Day Weekend and the ski ran fine the first two days, but on day three it would not get out of the hole and plane on water if 2 people were on the ski. I checked all hose and connections and then put one small person on the ski and it ran fine, but the as soon as a second person got on the ski the same problem happened and it would not get up out of the hole.

This past weekend I went to take the skis out and it would not even turn over. All I get is a humming or buzzing noise. I had the battery checked at Advance Auto and fully charged it and it still will not turn over. I am not sure of the age of the battery as I bought the skis used in September of 2009 and this is the original battery. However if I take this battery out of this ski and put it in my 1200 XLT the 1200 will start, so I do not think it is a problem with the battery. I checked the fuse in the black box under the seat and that looked good and I also reset the lock mode to make sure it was not something stupid like being stuck in lock. The only thing I can come up with is that I need a new starter.

As for the cavitating problem I am assuming I need a new impeller and to possibly reseal the pump. Does this sound accurate?

As I said when I push the start button nothing happens except a constant humming or buzzing noise that sounds like it is coming from the black box under the seat, but I checked the fuse in their and it seems fine. Nothing comes up on the display gauges either. If there is anything else you need to know just let me know.

Thanks for your help.

as said before replace the battery... if you look around you will see thats exactly what happens and yes they battery appears to be fine just isnt... As far as the cavitation goes like they said get the pump plug kit and go from there. You need to see the impeller to determin if you need a new one. While your down there itll be easy to check it out...

+1
    Why would the same battery work on one ski and not the other?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ercBOOSTED View Post
    Why would the same battery work on one ski and not the other?
    you are correct... if it tests fine and starts another ski the battery should be fine

see if you can turn the ski over by hand... they may have melted the liner so the impeller wont turn, or something in the motor may be holding it from turning over

Thread Information