Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Difficult to start GTi, seems like carb trouble but not sure

    Seems like its just one thing after another. I have learned/fixed most of the problems with my ski by myself with almost all help coming from this forum. Thanks guys for your patience.

    When I go to start my 02 Gti, if I give it a couple of squirts with the throttle, it will start for a couple of seconds then die. (Rarely can I keep it running). However, if I hold the throttle wide open and crank it, without fail, it will start and Iíll zip off within about 4 seconds of cranking it.
    I took your advice and I used a Mikuni rebuild kit and rebuilt the carb but it still acts the same.

    Any suggestions? You think this is a simple tuning problem?


  2. #2
    have u tried cleaning the fuel selector switch?

  3. #3
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mahomet, Il. USA
    Posts
    6,004
    +1
    163
    leaky needle and seats or dirty fuel selector switch. when you rebuilt the carbs did you clean the little screens in the carbs and the water separator under the hood? also did you adjust your throttle cable or idle at all when you put the carbs back on?

  4. #4
    When I rebuilt the carb i just strictly put the new peices in and took the old peices out. The funny thing is that none of the old peices looked bad. I'm pretty sure my throttle cable is in a good spot. I'm not really sure what the water seperator is. My Seadoo has been doing this ever since I got it, so this isn't happening because of anything I might have changed.

    I have not cleaned or replaced the fuel selector. In fact i'm sure it hasen't been cleaned or replaced in years. Could this be the problem? (I guess I don't understand why)

    I've heard that by replacing the O'ring in it, its as good as new. Is that true?

  5. #5
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mahomet, Il. USA
    Posts
    6,004
    +1
    163
    there is a fuel filter (water seperator) under the hood abovethe gas tank. ithas two fuel lines going to it. read the DIY fuel system cleaning thread at the top of the two stroke section...there is a pic of a severly restricted selector valve and yes replace the oring

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    there is a fuel filter (water seperator) under the hood abovethe gas tank. ithas two fuel lines going to it. read the DIY fuel system cleaning thread at the top of the two stroke section...there is a pic of a severly restricted selector valve and yes replace the oring
    Thanks Airborne for the info. I read the entire thread that you told me to. People say that when you rebuild the carb that you should put grease on the bolts when putting it back together. Are they talking about the bolts that mount the carb or are they talking about all the little screws that hold it together? I rebuilt my carb but didnít put grease on it, what could happen if I leave it this way?

  7. #7
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mahomet, Il. USA
    Posts
    6,004
    +1
    163
    ive never done that in any of my rebuilds...I suppose that if you have a salt water ski that may help but not necessary on fresh water ski

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    leaky needle and seats or dirty fuel selector switch. when you rebuilt the carbs did you clean the little screens in the carbs and the water separator under the hood? also did you adjust your throttle cable or idle at all when you put the carbs back on?
    I just pulled my fuel selector off and it looks fine, no grime in the 3 line nipples. About a week ago I was running my ski in my driveway and I noticed that even though it was running, my selector was turned to "off". I figure there is something i'm missing. Will the selector come apart? or do I need to buy a new one?

  9. #9
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mahomet, Il. USA
    Posts
    6,004
    +1
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Davpmars View Post
    I just pulled my fuel selector off and it looks fine, no grime in the 3 line nipples. About a week ago I was running my ski in my driveway and I noticed that even though it was running, my selector was turned to "off". I figure there is something i'm missing. Will the selector come apart? or do I need to buy a new one?
    it will come apart. there is a little screw in the middle of the top of the valve you can take out and pull the center out with a pair of pliars....if you can turn that knob 360* I would probly replace it. it should stop at 2 of the 3 positions

  10. #10
    RumRunnerRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by Davpmars View Post
    Seems like its just one thing after another. I have learned/fixed most of the problems with my ski by myself with almost all help coming from this forum. Thanks guys for your patience.

    When I go to start my 02 Gti, if I give it a couple of squirts with the throttle, it will start for a couple of seconds then die. (Rarely can I keep it running). However, if I hold the throttle wide open and crank it, without fail, it will start and I’ll zip off within about 4 seconds of cranking it.
    I took your advice and I used a Mikuni rebuild kit and rebuilt the carb but it still acts the same.

    Any suggestions? You think this is a simple tuning problem?


    Have you tried not giving the throttle a couple of jabs and only using the choke while cranking if needed? The way you are describing getting it to fire says to me you are in clear flood mode. At least you shouldn't be pulling fuel while holding it WOT.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-27-2013, 05:21 PM
  2. Polaris SL 750 Wont start or rund on 2 cyls but not 3?
    By ifixem in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-15-2012, 07:32 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 09:55 AM
  4. Time to get back in the water... but not sure what to buy?
    By r33pwrd in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 03:59 PM
  5. 1990 SP, very difficult to start. Please read and help troubleshoot.
    By SportbikeRiderXX in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 05:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •