Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Problem yesterday - now found potentially more problems help!!

Well, up in Minnesota we had the promise of a 80+ degree day, so a few buddies took the day off and went for a ride down the St.Croix and Mississippi rivers.

About a 65 mile jaunt each way.............

I was running up the back end of a huge cruiser wake, and jumped it at about 60 mph. (What the hell was I thinking?)

Yep you guessed it, the air was awesome, but the landing was unbelievably bad. Ski landed at an angle and I flipped down the river like a stone. Ski never flipped over though.

Now today as I am typing this, I can barely move.

Enough of the sob story...............

When I wnet to pull the ski out, I pulled the drain plugs and expected to have a few driblets come out. It poured out for 10 minutes! I opened the seat and looked and the water was below the SC etc. Checked the oil and all is fine there.

So water in the hull..........

I will fill the hull with some water and see if it will come out the carbon seal (Isuspect that is the culprit) I have read that even though you fill the hull up to the drive shaft this will not always tell you that the seal is bad though. (Is that right?)

I will check the OPAS blockoffs
    I will check the bailers
    I will check the various hoses

Any other suggestions as to where to look?

I am going to change oil and winterize this thing real soon, as winter temps are soon to approach
    Last edited by Jeff C; 10-04-2006 at 06:37 PM.

Glad to hear your alive and didnt break your neck!

If you were riding it for a while after the spill, the bailers should have taken care of that bit of water. Check your items your gonna check and post back what you find.

im not sure if a bad landing will dislodge a bolt on your sponson but i have seen them leak before(sponson holes). might be something to check

Hopefully you have a high (non stock) air intake or can tilt the ski waaaayyyyy back. Fill the water over the carbon seal. Sometimes they won't leak except when running. It shouldn't leak any water at all, not even a drop.

Do you have any cracks anywhere? Maybe around the drive shaft opening?

Yeah, I was going to suggest the same thing, hard enough landing could crack the shoe, or break a motor mount, causing drive shaft deflection and leak!? just my 2 cents ...PR...

River ride

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C View Post
    Well, up in Minnesota we had the promise of a 80+ degree day, so a few buddies took the day off and went for a ride down the St.Croix and Mississippi rivers.

About a 65 mile jaunt each way.............
    We are in the western part of KS and the small lake we have here is starting to get boring. A long river ride sounds like a lot of fun. Any suggestions on where to go for a trip like this? Even a longer ride than a day if there would be a place to dock for overnight would be OK and fun as well I'd think. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by darrel View Post
    We are in the western part of KS and the small lake we have here is starting to get boring. A long river ride sounds like a lot of fun. Any suggestions on where to go for a trip like this? Even a longer ride than a day if there would be a place to dock for overnight would be OK and fun as well I'd think. Thanks.

Darrell:

If you look at a map, the St. Croix River defends the borders of Minnesota and Wisconsin.

That is a wonderful CLEAN river. That dumps into the ole'miss. From there the sky is the limit. I have gone to LaCrosse, WI and back before over a few days.

There are hotels all along the trip.

Prescott, WI
    Red Wing, MN
    Lake City, MN
    Wabasha, MN
    Alma, WI
    Trempelau, WI
    Winona, MN
    LaCrosse, WI

Lots of Locks on the river. Barge traffic is the wild card though. If you get caught by a barge locking through, you might have to wait 3-4 hours to get access to the lock.

Ok guys here is what I found so far

Bailers - Check!
    OPAS blockoffs - CHECK!
    Various hoses - Check!

I am thinking carbon seal...........

As I was pulling off the intake to the SC, I stuck my finger inside and was able to barely spin the impeller.

Question: Should I be able to spin it at all? NO RIGHT?

Next question, need to get the SC off to send to Jerry......... I remember someone saying something that I needed to pull back a certain pipe for the SC to have clearance to get it off.

Next question, carbon ring. Can someone guide me on this one? Also how much does a new one cost?

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C View Post
    Ok guys here is what I found so far

Bailers - Check!
    OPAS blockoffs - CHECK!
    Various hoses - Check!

I am thinking carbon seal...........

As I was pulling off the intake to the SC, I stuck my finger inside and was able to barely spin the impeller.

Next question, need to get the SC off to send to Jerry......... I remember someone saying something that I needed to pull back a certain pipe for the SC to have clearance to get it off.

Next question, carbon ring. Can someone guide me on this one? Also how much does a new one cost?
    sc impeller should not move.

I think you have to take out or move the waterbox to make room to take it out.

I want to know how to check for the carbon seal thing too....I get some water inside the hull and dont know from where sometimes...

[quote=Jeff C;146977]

Jeff, you are correct. That impeller should be hard as crap to spin with your finger. I am not sure if you could even do it with your finger.

You have to loosen the large clamp from the exhaust manifold that holds the J pipe in place and the J pipe will slide back with the water box.

About $50 is the cost and you will have to remove the drive shaft to do this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information