home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar

carbon seal to retaining ring alignment question..

went to jacksonville ..last week to visit my sister and play on the skis..went out on the skis to have lunch on the water.. and a storm blew in..i was about 10 to 15 miles away water was 3 to 4 ft chop....with big rollers...in parts..in the st johns river...in jacksonville..not good conditions to be double up..so we called my neice to come get the girls..... then pounded home trying to avoid the wall of rain comming our way ..running 60 to 65 though most of it.....out of the water as much as in...it was accually fun..love to ride hard in that stuff..i accually beat the girls home in the car...they said they saw me..from the bridge..a dot then big spray... fun but i was sore as hell the next day ...sucks getting older..

anyway the next day we went to a rope swing...the ski was cavitating even at part throddle...bad...i was out with my neice..we wernt going fast..figured i trashed the pastic wear ring..or had some vegitation in the intake..didnt worry about it to much..we parked at the rope swing..played around a bit...we went to leave ..i was going to check the intake ..for vegitation...and my ski had filled up about half way with water.. stuck my hand down in my intake to see if it was dry at the charger the intake was water tight..that was a good thing...

because of the cavitation..my first thought was the carbon seal ..drug it out of the water a little at a time ..drained the water out....towed it back home...ran it on the hose ..didnt see any leaking hoses..pulled the carbon seal... looked perfect...ran some emery cloth over the retaining ring just because...and reinstalled ...checked the motor mount they seem good ..it is in there solid..

ran it on the hose no leaks...from any hoses...the only thing i saw was... the retaining ring wasnt centered left to right on the carbon seal...ran it on the trailer at the dock after reinstalling..no leaks ..rode it about 4 5 miles..no leaks.. thinking my motor may have shifted bouncing over the chop...dont have a engine alignment tool in my back pocket..i have never loosened the motor mounts to the hull just the motor to the mounts...

do some of the boots make the seal sit a little to the side..maybe i just never noticed....

or even though it is not leaking at the moment should i look for a tool befor i sink

bump

+1
    I looked at mine while duke and I was working on my ski. It was no where near centered indicating poor engine alignment from the factory. My ski leaks no water and does not cavitate. I was advised to ride it like it is. When a problem develops I will align motor and replace parts.

RXP 260 X Short Course Veteran RXP244's Avatar
    +1

Seal Alignment

I had my engine shift and that was after having never touched the mounts from new. It was after serious offshore enduro racing. You would never have known to look at it. Coming down hard on a chine will put some serious load on the mounts. I also have never had good alignment of engine to pump through the hull. They are in line, it's just that the pump is not perfect in the hull so the driveshaft does not sit on the centre line through the pump seal.

i did catch one a little sideways and i almost got chucked...maybe that did it ...how much is the engine alignment tool didnt see it in te store....i guess i should also look into a pump shoe one as well..i have this hull prodject working...

when something like that happens ..the ski need to regain my trust again..especially when i am not sure why it filled up...we have a ride right here in stuart this weekend..ill have plenty of recue / tow boats around ..i guess..it is a good time the retest...rather than out in the middle of nowhere 50miles fromhome..alone...

Thread Information