99 genesis ficht missing at low speed

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone can help. I have a 99 Genesis 1200 FICHT, and it misses under light load, or slow speed. It misses almost to the point of running on 2 cylinders. When I punch it, or it is above 3/4 throttle, it runs pretty good. I have heard it could be TPS or possibly a fuel injector. I don't want to just start throwing money at it, as parts acn get pricey. I bought it at the stealership a couple years ago, and it has never been right. It has had this issue as long as I have owned it. I am not wanting to take it to the stealership, as we are not on very friendly terms right now. So I was hoping to get some help here. Any suggestions?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    There are some diagnostics you can do, but my guess is that the EMM will need repair.

The TPS are known to fail over time, and the symptoms can vary widely. The only reliable test is to install a new or known good replacement TPS.

Fuel injectors do not fail very often, and it is unlikely that is the cause of the problem. Possible, but not likely.

Connect a multi-meter to the White/Red wires, and measure the voltage. Do not unplug any injectors, find another place to tap into the White/Red wires. All are connected together, so any White/Red wire will do.

At idle, the voltage should be 40 volts or higher. Above idle, the voltage should stay in a narrow range around 45 volts.

Next test, remove the CPS sensor from the top of the flywheel housing. Examine it for debris or damage on the bottom end. It should be clean. Signs of metallic grit or debris are not good.

Measure the CPS with your ohm-meter. Should be under 200 ohms, typically about 140 ohms.

Carefully examine the fuel injectors. There should be no seepage or stains around the injectors, and no signs of fuel leaks. If any injectors are cracked or damaged, they should be replaced.

If you remove the injectors, do NOT crank the engine with the injector out of the engine. These injectors do not work properly unless clamped into the cylinder head. Do not over torque the bolts.

Thanks...I will do this tonight after work. I hope all is OK. If the only good reliable test for a TPS is to change out, I guess that way I know it is good.
    Thanks, I will post later with results from Injectors and CPS.

Voltage on all injectors ranges from 40 to 44, ranging from idle to rev. CPS sensor checks out at 148 ohms. Engine starts and will idle with TPS unplugged, but will not rev at all. Ignition coil 1 and 2 at ~245 ohms #3 at 202k ohms. #3 cylinder appears to have good spark. I forgot to add that last fall, at one point, ski would only idle. When I tried to go, it acted as if the TPS was unplugged. That appeared to have went away after storage for 6 mos. I have not had it out to run on the water this year yet, as I am afraid I will have to swim it back AGAIN. Maybe weak #3 coil, and TPS???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyH View Post
    ... Ignition coil 1 and 2 at ~245 ohms #3 at 202k[/COLOR] ohms.
    You sure about that k ?

...last fall, at one point, ski would only idle. When I tried to go, it acted as if the TPS was unplugged...
    That is a classic sign of a TPS going bad.

Yes, I am SURE about the K ohms.... I triple checked, and cleaned the contacts, because I couldn't believe my eyes. I also checked coil resistance to ground...almost nothing, like .03 ohms each. I will order a TPS today. I think pitstop out of Grand Rapids Mi. has about the best price in these, like $93. I will let you know what happens with a replacement.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyH View Post
    Yes, I am SURE about the K ohms.... I triple checked, and cleaned the contacts, because I couldn't believe my eyes. I also checked coil resistance to ground...almost nothing, like .03 ohms each...
    You may need a new ignition coil then.

I would remove, clean and recheck the coil grounding. Redo all three coils, while you are at it.

Improving the ignition coil grounding on 1165cc (1200) Ficht engines

Sorry it took so long to reply. Spent the last week camping on Lake Michigan, and after replacing the TPS, my Genesis runs better than it has since I bought it! I will do as you suggest, on the coil packs, as it still misses ever so slightly. But, I am glad that it finally runs good. 59 MPH on GLASS LIKE WATER THE OTHER DAY! NOT BAD FOR A 4 SEATER, HUH? Thanks a bunch K447.

Thread Information