Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

XPL Cooling Issue...

Im working on my buddies 98 XPL for him. He said it ran good last summer and now it hesitates at WOT. I told him id check it out for him. He DID put fuel stabilizer in it. Just for the hell of it I pulled the carbs, cleaned/rebuilt them. Changed the fuel lines, and cleaned the fuel selector. I took it out a few minutes ago and it ran ok for 30-45 seconds. Then around 5k it misfires and runs like ass. I KNOW the carbs are dead on. When i opened the hood I saw some smoke. Heres where i got stumped......

The head was cooling correctly. The First section off the exaust manifold was cool to the touch, but the second half of the pipe ( After the large ring) burned the piss out of me when I touched it! I did check the pisser when the engine was running and it had a strong stream. I know this isnt right...Ive owned a couple 951's but never had this issue... Anyone have any tips on where to start looking for the culprit?

I did bring it back home and hook up the water hose, Same issue. Bottom half is extremely hot.

Ok I have taken all the water lines off of the exaust and blew air through them to make sure they are clear. I hooked the water hose up to verify they ARE flowing water. I also removed the hose off the bottom of the exaust while it was running to verify water was flowing thorugh it.

Im stumped here guys.... I just got back from a 2 min ride. From the Metal Ring where the pipe seperates all the way to the waterbox is hot enough to boil water!! The head,exaust manifold,and first section of the pipe are at normal temps! The ski runs good for 30-45 seconds until the pipe gets hot and then runs like crap! There is too many 951's out here for someone not to have had this issue before... Its driving me nuts!! Any Ideas ? TIA!!

not sure if this will help or not, but did you make sure the waterbox was functioning properly? Mine ran similar to what it sounds like your buddies is doing because the spring snapped inside the rave on the waterbox.

No I have not checked that out. I just ran it on the hose again, there is barely a little stream of water flowing out of the exaust while its running. I will check the rave valve out and post what I find. Thanks for the tip!

just an FYI, alot of people say not to touch that, but I just undid the hook, took the top off and and replaced the spring...i think they are referring to not touching the dial on top of it (the part you can twist, i think its red on yours)

I just took off the cap. The valve moves up and down freely. No problems there. I just cant seem to figure out why the top section of the pipe stays cold while the second section back to the water box gets hot as hell, and is not flowing enough water. The exaust couplers have already started to melt...

try one of these guys, they are pretty helpful and knowledgable...im sure they will see this, but pop the a message
    KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX or Joe Stang

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I did the reverse cooling on mine, water comes through the lower cylinder, up through the head and out to a side pisser, my ski never runs too cold or too hot.

your TPS sensor could be cooked, dont run the ski anymore, as this will cause detonation. the TPS sensor is located on the throttle cable.
    if everything on the ski checks out fine, such as fuel system, spark and such but the ski runs really weird is the TPS sensor. plug the positive lead to the white stripped wire, dont disconnect it! you can use a paperclip to shove it in there, then plug your negative to a good ground, with the key off, press the start button, this will power the system up for 30 seconds, close and open the throttle too see if you get a change from 5volts from 0 throttle to 80% throttle and 0 volts from 80% throttle to WOT.

if you get 5 volts constant, or you get a different number but wont change the TPS is bad, I went through about 3 of them.

Richard at WFO has a TPS of a XPL

Well Ive got to thinking... its got to be somthing with the exaust being plugged up somehow. or a gasket blown out. I pulled off the pipe and here is what i found... One of the exaust couplers is blown out. But I believe thats due to the excessive amount of heat. I also found what looks to be water/oil mix running down the exaust manifold back into the cylinders . Compression is still ok at 125 per cylinder. BTW this is a SBT motor that was put in by some dumb ass 2 yrs ago. I Still dont think I have found the problem as to WHY only half of the exaust is running hot... But Im going to go get a new exaust coupler now and putting a new manifold gasket on also...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1000.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	203590   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1001.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	203589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1002.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	203588  

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    only the top part of the exhaust pipe is water jacketed, not the bottom half, there is a stinger of water in the midpipe. that cools the couplers and the bottom part of the pipe.

as far as your water oil mix, looks like you have a leaky gasket either at the manifold against the block, or at the flange.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information