Removing the thermostat?

I live in Texas and the lakes are like bath water here. One of the local mechanics said I should not run a t-stat in my SL750 or my SLX. I did a search on this but the new search function really leave alot to be desired, and I did not find much.

Do you guys have a general practice on this?

They often fail, and they often fail CLOSED. So long as you don't run it in ice water often, just pull the t-stat and leave it.
    All you need to do is open the housing on the water rail, and pull the thermostat out and close it up.

I believe 2000 and newer Polaris skis all come without t-stats.

+1
    Mine froze up and it froze closed. Had an over heating prob for a while til I figured out that was the cause. It takes a little bit longer to warm up but not a big deal. Just let it idle a little bit longer and don't run WOT until its warm.

Thanks for the info guys. I verified mine opens by putting in 145 degree water and it opened, but With the water being this warm, that engine just stays way to hot for my liking.

Should I remove the pop off too? When you say let it warm up, how long should that be?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by friscoboater View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I verified mine opens by putting in 145 degree water and it opened, but With the water being this warm, that engine just stays way to hot for my liking.

Should I remove the pop off too? When you say let it warm up, how long should that be?
    The thermostat only controls engine water temp at low RPM. At higher RPM (and higher water pressure from the jet pump) the pressure bypass valve opens, and allows additional water flow.

If your engine is getting too hot at higher RPM, then the pop-off valve may be the problem. Or you have a water flow restriction somewhere else in the system.

You should be able to put your hand anywhere on the engine or exhaust for several seconds without burning your skin. 143F is the thermostat temp, and normal engine temps should feel very warm, but not water sizzling or burn your skin hot.

Polaris retained the thermostats in the fuel injected models throughout production, but did delete the thermostats from later year carburetor models (not sure if it was some or all).

Once you remove the thermostat, you have also effectively bypassed the pressure by-pass valve. And if you remove the by-pass valve, you are also bypassing the thermostat. Taking them both out provides the maximum water flow, of course, but it is not hugely more than taking either one out.

So remove them both for good waterflow. I did a test in a small pool of water close to the house today. It is very cold and I ran it on the trailer for about 10 minutes and the engine stayed warm to the touch. I then to it to the lake, which is close to 90 degrees and the heads were much hotter.

If you feel its running hot, just pull the pop off and t-stat and leave it alone. You could put a pisser in to monitor temps. Triple pissers would be best, you could feel each cyl temp and visually confirm flow with ease.

If it was me I would guy the t-stat and run it.

you know by retaining the pop off valve water is held back at low idle/low rpm filling the water passages of water and cooling the cylinder and head.

i threw out the thermostat but retained the pop off valve in boith my slt's.

Thread Information