SLT hull water leak

I have a 1994 slt 750 and water is leaking in the hull. I removed the exhaust and there is water coming in the left rear corner towards front of ski. What would be the best sealer or fiberglass patch to use. Cannot see any damage underneath, the leak looks to be directly above left front bolt of intake grate. I am going to remove the grate and take a closer look. Can I just use marine urethane over leaking area? Any help would be appreciated. New to watercrafts, not familiar with fiberglass leak repair.

I used K447's advice. Worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Many Polaris hulls are made using SMC (Sheet Molded Compound).

Polyester repair materials commonly used with fiberglass should not be used with SMC.

Use epoxy based repair materials with SMC.

From the manual;

SMC Hull Repair

The hull and top deck on some models are constructed of sheet molded compound (SMC) which is an epoxy
    based, rigid, reinforced material.

The processes used to manufacture the hull involve high heat and pressure.

Once this process is complete it cannot be reversed. Therefore, hot air welding or similar methods cannot be
    used to repair damage.

A two part rigid structural adhesive such as 3M #08101 or equivalent is acceptable for SMC materials. Patch
    kits are locally available at most auto supply stores.
    Be sure to follow the directions carefully according to the repair kit package.

After any repairs are made the hull can be prepped and painted using a base coat/clear coat marine quality paint.

Caution: Do not use power sanding equipment on the repair area or bond strength may be affected. Hand sand only.

I used this too. You can tint it to whatever color the hull is that you are repairing.

This works better on the deep scratches and bigger damage but you will have to paint it. However, where you say the damage is you probably won't have to because it is under the boat. Post a pic so I can see where exactly it is that you are talking about. There are seals there that could be letting in water.

BTW: Welcome to Hulk.

I just got a good look at the underside looks like there are two gouges that look like it has gone through the gel coat. Is it possible to come in there are fill the inner between the inside of the boat and the hull outside. I will try to get some pics tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

+1
    The '94 SLT has a fiberglass lower and upper hull... (not SMC). Use regular fiberglass repair. I've not had to do it yet so I won't comment, but I've read some good posts on here that talked about how to. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    The '94 SLT has a fiberglass lower and upper hull... (not SMC). Use regular fiberglass repair. I've not had to do it yet so I won't comment, but I've read some good posts on here that talked about how to. Good luck.

Damn. I thought it said 97. I need some sleep. I think he can still use the 3M 08101 and mix it with some glass on the bottom. I remember someone saying that was okay on here. I think it was "bowsniper." He posted a thread dedicated to paint and repair. I will see if I can find it.

Here it is.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...nting-a-jetski

+1
    Caution: Do not use power sanding equipment on the repair area or bond strength may be affected. Hand sand only.

Huh? Ah, you can sand it with your elbow. the ski doesnt care as long as its sanded. lol Cmon,,, electric sander will affect it? Please explain this theory to me.. lol Thats some funny sheet right there! lol

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post

Huh? Ah, you can sand it with your elbow. the ski doesn't care as long as its sanded. lol

Cmon,,, electric sander will affect it? Please explain this theory to me.. lol ...
    I am not the expert, but my guess is that the extra friction heat from power sanding SMC may release oils or such from the compound that reduce the bonding with the epoxy.

Or perhaps the friction heat may change the molecular properties of the remaining material near the surface, making it weaker.

Or maybe cause most people just let the electric sander go crazy, which leads to way more sanding then is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I am not the expert, but my guess is that the extra friction heat from power sanding SMC may release oils or such from the compound that reduce the bonding with the epoxy.

Or perhaps the friction heat may change the molecular properties of the remaining material near the surface, making it weaker.
    Either way, I took your advice and used a sanding sponge. It worked well on areas of about three inches on average.

Thread Information