Have (2) 1999 Polaris SLTH skis and have problems with both!

I'm new to Green Hulk and I must say that I have learned more in the last three days of reading these forums than the three years I have owned my skis! For that, I thank you!
    Now to business: I have two 99 SLTH skis that I purchased from an acquantance and believe that I may be the third owner. One ski has always run well and the other has always had some annoying problems. After a recent visit to my local Polaris service center and spending about $1000 to address the annoying issues, I take my skis to the water to find the issues still exist. After having it out with the service shop, I soon come to the realization that I will be performing future maitanance myself!

First issue: My problematic ski has throttle issues. When I get underway from the dock, it will throttle up fine, but as soon as I clear the no wake buoys, it boggs down. It's wierd, full-throttle will kill it, and half-throttle is full speed. The shop said I may have a bad stator and that the ski is making odd timing sparks? I have cleaned the injectors, but am limited in other capacity beyond normal tune-up, any suggestions?

Second issue: The always functional ski now takes forever to start. New battery and spark plugs installed. Ski stalls out sometimes while in water... and take it while to turn back over.

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Having two of the same model makes it possible to do some tests by swapping parts. When you do so, it is important to not lose track of what parts came from which machine

First question, does either SLTH have the ignition update kit installed? You can tell from the part numbers on the CDI module and ignition coil. The original ignitions are known to have reliability issues over time.

Polaris sells Ignition System Update Kits, which cost about $300. These are much more reliable.

Polaris Domestic (red) engine

Read these links, which you should find useful;

I just bought a Polaris PWC - what should I do?

1999 Polaris Genesis starting problems

Im having a similar starting issue with a 1999 Polaris Genesis 1200. I do understand others have had similar issues, but I have not witnessed a reply to those. This ski will start and run perfectly the first time a battery is installed. Once the ski is shut off, there is NO action when start button is pressed. It is necessary to shut off and turn on battery again, then ski will start and run perfectly. NOW, it is necessary to press the start button during the EMM gauge pretest (0-1 seconds after turning battery on). Wait too long, there is NO) action again. I believe that this jetski was jumped from an automobile prior to recent purchase. I have already replaced stator, and new battery. Now believe that there is/was EMM damage? or TPS? Any information/experience with this situation? Thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by peb0688 View Post
    I'm having a similar starting issue with a 1999 Polaris Genesis 1200. I do understand others have had similar issues, but I have not witnessed a reply to those.

This ski will start and run perfectly the first time a battery is installed. Once the ski is shut off, there is NO action when start button is pressed. It is necessary to shut off and turn on battery again, then ski will start and run perfectly.

NOW, it is necessary to press the start button during the EMM gauge pretest (0-1 seconds after turning battery on). Wait too long, there is NO) action again.

I believe that this jetski was jumped from an automobile prior to recent purchase. I have already replaced stator, and new battery.

Now believe that there is/was EMM damage? or TPS? Any information/experience with this situation? Thanks.
    Welcome to the Hulk

Your problem may seem similar to the original poster's, but it is better to not confuse different machines in the same thread. A moderator may move your post to a new thread, where it belongs.

Is your Genesis fuel injected or carburetor?

It sounds like your MFI display (not the EMM) has been damaged, or has security enabled.

When you press Start, and nothing happens, does the display say 'Locked' or 'Enter Code'?

If it is Locked, then you need to unlock it. If you do not know the unlock code, the factory default code is 1234. The code can be reset if someone has changed it.

If it is NOT Locked, then you can bypass the display security;
    Multi-Function Display (MFD)

How to unplug the MFI and still allow the engine to crank, start, and run

Sorry to have stepped on the person who initiated this post, but I am new to this site and havent figured out how to post a new thread. So I responded on this person's post with my own problem. I'm trying to learn. -- My MFI display: reads "unlocked", jetski is the carburetor model. I do believe, by reading others situations, that cleaning/retorquing of all ground/positive cables/connections from battery to starter can/may solve this issue. Will try that first. Then it sounds like it may be a faulty MFI, as you had suggested. Thanks for your suggestions.

Thread Information