cylinder base nuts

ski quit after running rough...took seat off and engine compartment was filled with exhaust. I discovered that one cylinder base nut had vibrated off and another was very loose. First question...If the gasket is intact should I loosen the others and tighten in sequence or can I just tighten them down? Second question....is this unusual, and should I be looking fora source of excessive vibration? The ski has been running great with no apparent issues. 96 sl780.

+1
    pull the exhaust, remove the cylinder, check the gasket, if torn at all, replace gasket. Reseat the cylinder, 2 drops locktite red/blue, torque correctly, reattach the exhaust, replacing gaskets as needed or copper spraying gaskets in good condition

+1
    you should take the cyl off and make sure tehgasketis not chewed up.. then torque them down the right way..

as far as removing the exaust, i know on my 1050 i did not have to remove it. and im pretty sure you can get away with the same thing.

+1
    how do you pull the cylinder without removing the exhaust? They are bolted together.

+1
    unbolt the exhaust from that cylinder only.. i did not have to take it out of the boat.. i was just replacing one cylinder/piston

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gruba View Post
    ski quit after running rough...took seat off and engine compartment was filled with exhaust. I discovered that one cylinder base nut had vibrated off and another was very loose. First question...If the gasket is intact should I loosen the others and tighten in sequence or can I just tighten them down? Second question....is this unusual, and should I be looking fora source of excessive vibration? The ski has been running great with no apparent issues. 96 sl780.
    Yes it's unusual.

There should've been Blue Loctite used on the fasteners to prevent them from loosening.

You're going to have to inspect the base gasket for damage. I'm pretty sure it'll be bad though.

You can get a Cometic top end gasket kit for round $60 that should have everything you'll need gasket wise.

pulled cylinder and replaced gasket and applied loctite to all nuts and bolts, gasket was blown out badly....still haven't figured out what cuased this to happen, I will watch closely. Thanks for the input, again!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Normally guys don't know about putting the exh manifold on before torquing the base nuts down. If you don't, when you put the exh manifold on, it will pull the cyls "in line" and damage the base gasket.

So lightly torque the manifold on the cyls first. Torque the base nuts, and then install the manifold gasket and rest of the engine.

Thread Information