Not so great night in the shop

I'm just putting the finishing touches on rebuilding my 02 GP1200r engine. I pressure tested it and everything looks good. I read previously about lapping the crank snout before putting the flywheel on. I don't have any lapping compound, so I gave it a light sanding with fine grit sandpaper.

So........I'm using my cheap Coleman impact wrench to pull the flywheel on when "SNAP!" Yup, sheared the flywheel bolt inside the crank snout. I was able to drill most of the old bolt out without damaging the threads inside the crank. But I do have a few questions if anyone can offer assistance. How long is the stock flywheel bolt? I checked the microfiche and parts diagrams, but they don't show a length. I'm no longer using the oil injection pump, so does anyone see a problem with using a standard bolt? Lastly, is the flywheel supposed to be even with the edge of the crank snout when fully installed?

As a side note, I was amazed at how soft the metal was for this bolt. Drilling it out was relatively easy. Hopefully someone will read this before making the same mistake as me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mi11ertyme26 View Post
    I'm just putting the finishing touches on rebuilding my 02 GP1200r engine. I pressure tested it and everything looks good. I read previously about lapping the crank snout before putting the flywheel on. I don't have any lapping compound, so I gave it a light sanding with fine grit sandpaper.

So........I'm using my cheap Coleman impact wrench to pull the flywheel on when "SNAP!" Yup, sheared the flywheel bolt inside the crank snout. I was able to drill most of the old bolt out without damaging the threads inside the crank. But I do have a few questions if anyone can offer assistance. How long is the stock flywheel bolt? I checked the microfiche and parts diagrams, but they don't show a length. I'm no longer using the oil injection pump, so does anyone see a problem with using a standard bolt? Lastly, is the flywheel supposed to be even with the edge of the crank snout when fully installed?

As a side note, I was amazed at how soft the metal was for this bolt. Drilling it out was relatively easy. Hopefully someone will read this before making the same mistake as me.
    32mm long from washer to end of threads

I personally wouldnt use anything but a Yami flywheel bolt, but if you can find a metric hardned bolt with a big-ass hardened washer, I guess it would work

the flywheel usually hangs out a bit more than the crank

I didn't expect an answer that fast. Thank you, sir.

Thread Information