96 sl 900 stator

I've posted on here before about getting my rebuilt 900 running with electrical gremlins. I've never personally had this thing running since I bought it with a detonated cyl. Any hoo I tried a different stator that was the same vintage with no luck on the spark. I'm getting a single spark when hitting the starter, but no more than that. My question is now that I broke down and ordered the update kit for the cdi and stator is there anything else besides the kill switch that could prevent a no spark or single spark situation. I've done almost every test I have read about but I guess I'm just worried that with my luck I will put the new stuff in and not have a spark. And yes i do have a brand new battery with about 10.8-9v while cranking. I also plan on removing the black wire from the ebox to battery ground with the new system and connecting the red/purple wire to the orange terminal in the ebox........right?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvandy1 View Post
    I've posted on here before about getting my rebuilt 900 running with electrical gremlins. I've never personally had this thing running since I bought it with a detonated cyl. Any hoo I tried a different stator that was the same vintage with no luck on the spark. I'm getting a single spark when hitting the starter, but no more than that. My question is now that I broke down and ordered the update kit for the cdi and stator is there anything else besides the kill switch that could prevent a no spark or single spark situation. I've done almost every test I have read about but I guess I'm just worried that with my luck I will put the new stuff in and not have a spark. And yes i do have a brand new battery with about 10.8-9v while cranking. I also plan on removing the black wire from the ebox to battery ground with the new system and connecting the red/purple wire to the orange terminal in the ebox........right?
    Sounds like you are on the right path.

Your brand new battery doesn't sound all that strong. Keep an eye on it, as you are only a few tenths of a volt above the no-spark threshold.

This is why I recommend the factory sealed AGM batteries. Plenty of cranking voltage, well above the minimum requirement.

Thread Information